zsh-users
* Problem with flow control in screen
@ 1999-05-12  1:59 Scott RoLanD
From: Scott RoLanD @ 1999-05-12  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

I have installed the GNU program screen and set it to use "^q" as it's
escape character, and disabled its flowcontrol with the following
options in my .screenrc:
	defescape ^Qq
	defflow off

My problem comes when I try to use the magic key "^Q" to talk to
screen. If I am looking at a zsh prompt, it won't work, the "^Q" is
apparently eaten and never shown to screen. However if I am running
any other text program (like mutt, less, etc.) then the "^Q" works and
lets me talk to screen. I have tried this with the zsh-option
no_flow_control set and unset, it doesn't seem to have any effect.

What is happening?

Thanks.
--
Scott RoLanD
http://www.chat.net/~shr/

* Re: Problem with flow control in screen
@ 1999-05-31  4:07 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-05-31  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott RoLanD, zsh-users

On May 11,  6:59pm, Scott RoLanD wrote:
} Subject: Problem with flow control in screen
}
} I have installed the GNU program screen and set it to use "^q" as it's
} escape character, and disabled its flowcontrol with the following
} options in my .screenrc:
} 	defescape ^Qq
} 	defflow off

Hmm.

Those options are supposedly "useful multiuser sessions only" [sic]
to change "the default command characters of users that will be added
later."

You should be using
	escape ^Qq
	flow off

I have no idea why running mutt, less, etc. would make any difference,
unless maybe they're aliases that use screen to create new windows.

* Re: Problem with flow control in screen
@ 1999-06-01 14:43   ` Larry P. Schrof
From: Larry P. Schrof @ 1999-06-01 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Scott RoLanD, zsh-users

It may or may not matter, but hearing 'mutt' and 'less' in the same
sentence reminds me they both support S-Lang.

@ 1999-06-01 15:51 ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 1999-06-01 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Scott RoLanD <shr@chat.net> typed:
:I have installed the GNU program screen and set it to use "^q" as it's
:escape character, and disabled its flowcontrol with the following
:options in my .screenrc:
:	defescape ^Qq
:	defflow off
:My problem comes when I try to use the magic key "^Q" to talk to
:screen. If I am looking at a zsh prompt, it won't work, the "^Q" is
:apparently eaten and never shown to screen. However if I am running
:any other text program (like mutt, less, etc.) then the "^Q" works and
:lets me talk to screen. I have tried this with the zsh-option
:no_flow_control set and unset, it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Just worked for me (3.0.6-pre-3):
% screen -e '^Qq' zsh -f
% setopt noflowcontrol
(then do   CTRL-Q ?   and get help screen)

Guess we need more information about your system, zsh version, etc.

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : (Australia) 0413 431 874
Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/   Ego URL: http://pobox.com/~gcw/