zsh-users
* vim bindings from nowhere
@ 2001-03-29 23:25 Jeff Shipman
From: Jeff Shipman @ 2001-03-29 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Somewhere my zsh terminals are getting vim
keybindings out of nowhere. My other account
doesn't do it, and the only difference
between the two are some variables in my
.zshrc that don't seem like they should
affect my keybindings.

Is there something special that could be
causing this (btw, it only happens on
my xterms, not console), or is there a way
to unset these vim bindings?

Jeff "Shippy" Shipman     E-Mail: shippy@nmt.edu
Computer Science Major    ICQ: 1786493
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
Homepage: http://www.nmt.edu/~shippy

* Re: vim bindings from nowhere
@ 2001-03-30  0:17 ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 2001-03-30  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Jeff Shipman <shippy@nmt.edu> typed:
:Somewhere my zsh terminals are getting vim
:keybindings out of nowhere. My other account
:doesn't do it, and the only difference
:between the two are some variables in my
:.zshrc that don't seem like they should
:affect my keybindings.
:Is there something special that could be
:causing this (btw, it only happens on
:my xterms, not console), or is there a way
:to unset these vim bindings?

See the manual on KEYMAPS (section zshzle).
You probably want "bindkey -e" somewhere in your .zshrc

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>

* Re: vim bindings from nowhere
@ 2001-03-30  0:18 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-03-30  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users, Jeff Shipman

On Mar 29,  4:25pm, Jeff Shipman wrote:
> Subject: vim bindings from nowhere
> Somewhere my zsh terminals are getting vim
> keybindings out of nowhere.

Could you explain what "getting vim keybindings" means?

Do you mean that ZLE behaves entirely like vi, or do you mean that
somehow keys in the emacs mode are becoming bound to vim-like sequences?

On the presumption that it's the former:

> [...] the only difference
> between the two are some variables in my
> .zshrc that don't seem like they should
> affect my keybindings.

Are any of those variables named EDITOR or VISUAL, by any chance?

If EDITOR or VISUAL contains the substring "vi", then ZLE starts up with
the vi mode bindings, otherwise it starts up with emacs mode.

* Re: vim bindings from nowhere
@ 2001-03-30  1:33   ` Jeff Shipman
From: Jeff Shipman @ 2001-03-30  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> Could you explain what "getting vim keybindings" means?
>
> Do you mean that ZLE behaves entirely like vi, or do you mean that
> somehow keys in the emacs mode are becoming bound to vim-like sequences?

It means that zle behaves entirely like vi

> Are any of those variables named EDITOR or VISUAL, by any chance?
>
> If EDITOR or VISUAL contains the substring "vi", then ZLE starts up with
> the vi mode bindings, otherwise it starts up with emacs mode.

Yes, I suppose that would be it, I do use 'vim' for my
editor and visual, but I do so under both accounts and
only one of my accounts have this problem.

I do like vim, so that's what I use, but I do not like
zsh's vi keybindings.

@ 2001-03-30  1:48     ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2001-03-30  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Shipman; +Cc: Bart Schaefer, zsh-users

Jeff Shipman <shippy@nmt.edu> writes:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > If EDITOR or VISUAL contains the substring "vi", then ZLE starts up with
> > the vi mode bindings, otherwise it starts up with emacs mode.
>
> Yes, I suppose that would be it, I do use 'vim' for my
> editor and visual, but I do so under both accounts and
> only one of my accounts have this problem.
>
> I do like vim, so that's what I use, but I do not like
> zsh's vi keybindings.

The account without zle vi mode probably has a 'binkey -e' in its
/etc/zshrc (or similar).

On that account, try running 'zsh -xl -c exit >& foo'.  Then you can
open up 'foo' and see who is calling bindkey, if anyone.

--
matt

* Re: vim bindings from nowhere
@ 2001-03-30 16:33       ` Jeff Shipman
From: Jeff Shipman @ 2001-03-30 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Armstrong; +Cc: Bart Schaefer, zsh-users

> The account without zle vi mode probably has a 'binkey -e' in its
> /etc/zshrc (or similar).

Nope, none of my accounts have 'bindkey -e' and neither
do any of my /etc/zsh* files.

> On that account, try running 'zsh -xl -c exit >& foo'.  Then you can
> open up 'foo' and see who is calling bindkey, if anyone.

I did this on all of my accounts and I do not see any
references to 'bindkey' in there.

I'm going to assume that for some reason zsh is
being wacky and so I'll just set 'bindkey -e' manually
for the account that's acting up.

Thanks,

@ 2001-03-30 16:49         ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2001-03-30 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Shipman; +Cc: zsh-users

--- Jeff Shipman <shippy@nmt.edu> wrote: >
> The account without zle vi mode probably has a 'binkey -e' in its
> > /etc/zshrc (or similar).

> Nope, none of my accounts have 'bindkey -e' and neither
> do any of my /etc/zsh* files.

bindkey -e was the solution. export EDITOR=vim or export VISUAL=vim are
the likely culprits. bindkey -v could also be a culprit.

Just put bindkey -e (or bindkey -me) in every .zshrc you have just
before any other bindkey command.

EDITOR or VISUAL could well be set to vi somewhere else like
/etc/profile. You could also try setting them to something else.

It still annoys me that whenever I do zsh -f, I get vi key bindings. I
even set $EDITOR to pico once to avoid this but discovered that quite a
few things actually use $EDITOR.

Oliver