zsh-users
* run-help for new git style
@ 2010-08-12 12:00 Klaus Ethgen
From: Klaus Ethgen @ 2010-08-12 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,

since some time ago the syntax of git commands was changed from
something like "git-add" to "git add". I have no problem with that at
all but as I often use <ALT>-H to get help for a command I get the main
git page of git which is not what I want to see.

Is there any way to configure run-help to use "man git-add" when I press
<ALT>-H in a line with "git add"?

-- Klaus
--
Klaus Ethgen                            http://www.ethgen.de/
pub  2048R/D1A4EDE5 2000-02-26 Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@Ethgen.de>

* Re: run-help for new git style
@ 2010-08-12 13:07 ` Frank Terbeck
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Frank Terbeck @ 2010-08-12 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus Ethgen; +Cc: zsh-users

Klaus Ethgen wrote:
[...]
> Is there any way to configure run-help to use "man git-add" when I press
> <ALT>-H in a line with "git add"?

If your zsh is new enough:

autoload -Uz run-help-git

That should be all to do the trick.

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925

* Re: run-help for new git style
@ 2010-08-12 13:12   ` Frank Terbeck
From: Frank Terbeck @ 2010-08-12 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus Ethgen; +Cc: zsh-users

Frank Terbeck wrote:
> Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> [...]
>> Is there any way to configure run-help to use "man git-add" when I press
>> <ALT>-H in a line with "git add"?
>
> autoload -Uz run-help-git
>
> That should be all to do the trick.

Well, that assumes you're already using the `run-help' function. There
may be an alias `run-help' set to `man'. So, to be complete:

(( ${+aliases[run-help]} )) && unalias run-help
autoload -Uz run-help
autoload -Uz run-help-git

* Re: run-help for new git style
@ 2010-08-12 13:12   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2010-08-12 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:07:34 +0200
Frank Terbeck <ft@bewatermyfriend.org> wrote:
> Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> [...]
> > Is there any way to configure run-help to use "man git-add" when I
> > press <ALT>-H in a line with "git add"?
>
> If your zsh is new enough:
>
> autoload -Uz run-help-git

You might also need

  unalias run-help
  autoload -Uz run-help

since by default run-help is just an alias for man, and the facility
for using helpers is only built into the function version.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited

* Re: run-help for new git style
@ 2010-08-12 14:21   ` Klaus Ethgen
From: Klaus Ethgen @ 2010-08-12 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,

Frank Terbeck <ft@bewatermyfriend.org> schrieb:
>> Is there any way to configure run-help to use "man git-add" when I press
>> <ALT>-H in a line with "git add"?
>
> If your zsh is new enough:
>
> autoload -Uz run-help-git

Thanks, that did the stuff. I was knowing that there is a simple
solution. :-)

-- Klaus

Ps. No need to add me in Cc as I read this news group.