zsh-users
* rsync completion not working for server files when using double quotes
@ 2021-09-07  8:41 Mathieu
From: Mathieu @ 2021-09-07  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,

I hope I’m at the right place to submit that problem.

I use zsh completion to navigate through rsync server directory hierarchy.
I’ve just discovered brace expansion {start..end} and for it to work, I need
to double quotes the server path:
noglob rsync -rlP "server:folder/file{01..03}" .
will download the files file01, file02, and file03 from folder.

My problem is: completion (=tab=>) is working for folders but not files (if
there are no folders) when using double quotes:
noglob rsync -rlP "server:fo =tab=> noglob rsync -rlP "server:folder/
but
noglob rsync -rlP "server:folder/fi =tab=>
will not complete the filename or display a list when using tab twice.

I first opened a question on stackoverflow about it:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69073426/rsync-server-autocompletion-not-working-for-files-when-using-double-quotes-on-zs

If someone can help me, maybe just by providing a workaround.
Using the completion before adding the quotes could work but is tedious when
some names need escaping:
noglob rsync -rlP server:folder\\\ with\\\ spaces/file{01..03} .
noglob rsync -rlP "server:folder\\ with\\ spaces/file{01..03}" .

Looking forward to reading you,
Regards,

Mathieu

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-09-07  8:42 UTC | newest]