zsh-users
* ^test^main line editting command
@ 2005-09-13 12:14 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2005-09-13 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi,
I just love this command, just wondered whether there were any extensions to it, eg some kind of
memory?

--
zzapper
Success for Techies and Vim,Zsh tips

* Re: ^test^main line editting command
@ 2005-09-13 12:38 ` Mike Hernandez
From: Mike Hernandez @ 2005-09-13 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On 9/13/05, zzapper <david@tvis.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just love this command, just wondered whether there were any extensions to it, eg some kind of
> memory?

That's really just simple history expansion. Look at zshexpn...
there's a lot more you can do with history expansion =)

Mike

* Re: ^test^main line editting command
@ 2005-09-14  9:27   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2005-09-14  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:38:44 -0400,  wrote:

>On 9/13/05, zzapper <david@tvis.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just love this command, just wondered whether there were any extensions to it, eg some kind of
>> memory?
>
>That's really just simple history expansion. Look at zshexpn...
>there's a lot more you can do with history expansion =)

Mike
I hope I know most of the bang tricks !! etc.
But I was just hoping ,zsh being so twisted ,that there might just be some clever tricks to the
^str1^str2 mechanism

--

@ 2005-09-14 15:52     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-09-14 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sep 14, 10:27am, zzapper wrote:
}
} I hope I know most of the bang tricks !! etc.
} But I was just hoping ,zsh being so twisted ,that there might just be
} some clever tricks to the
} ^str1^str2 mechanism

There's really only one, but it's a pretty comprehensive trick.

When you write
    ^str1^st2
zsh converts it internally to
    !!:s^str1^str2
which means that you can add a third carat and go on with your command
line, including appending a colon and then more history modifiers.
E.g.
    ^str1^str2^:u:p

(I'm not sure what you were hinting at with the "some kind of memory"
question.)

* Re: ^test^main line editting command
@ 2005-09-14 19:42       ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2005-09-14 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:52:14 +0000,  wrote:

>On Sep 14, 10:27am, zzapper wrote:
>}
>} I hope I know most of the bang tricks !! etc.
>} But I was just hoping ,zsh being so twisted ,that there might just be
>} some clever tricks to the
>} ^str1^str2 mechanism
>
>There's really only one, but it's a pretty comprehensive trick.
>
>When you write
>    ^str1^st2
>zsh converts it internally to
>    !!:s^str1^str2
>which means that you can add a third carat and go on with your command
>line, including appending a colon and then more history modifiers.
>E.g.
>    ^str1^str2^:u:p
>
>(I'm not sure what you were hinting at with the "some kind of memory"
>question.)
Some kind of regexp memory I suppose
--

@ 2005-09-15  3:11         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-09-15  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Sep 14,  8:42pm, zzapper wrote:
}
} >(I'm not sure what you were hinting at with the "some kind of memory"
} >question.)
} Some kind of regexp memory I suppose

I still don't know what that means.  Maybe this?

zsh% echo chim
chim
zsh% ^chim^&-&ney-&-&-cheree
echo chim-chimney-chim-chim-cheree

@ 2005-09-15  8:50           ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2005-09-15  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 03:11:42 +0000,  wrote:

>On Sep 14,  8:42pm, zzapper wrote:
>}
>} >(I'm not sure what you were hinting at with the "some kind of memory"
>} >question.)
>} Some kind of regexp memory I suppose
>
>I still don't know what that means.  Maybe this?
>
>zsh% echo chim
>chim
>zsh% ^chim^&-&ney-&-&-cheree
>echo chim-chimney-chim-chim-cheree
>chim-chimney-chim-chim-cheree

thats exactly what I was looking for!!

but now to pipe it thru a text to voice converter? <G>