zsh-users
* zlogout not finishing when errors
@ 2004-03-23 18:49 Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2004-03-23 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

[zsh 4.1.1]

If have put some "cp" commands in my .zlogout. Some files are
sometimes "nonexistant" - depending on the host and the mounts. So I
simply wanted to redirect stderr to /dev/null.

To my surprise when of these commands errors ("cp nonexistant_file
destination") the rest of .zlogout is not read. So I had to put a "if
[[ -r $file ]]" into .zlogout to make this file finish until the end.

Of course this is not the behaviour of the other rcfiles (.zprofile,
.zshrc, etc.).

So my question is: is this a known thing (a bug or a feature)?

Thorsten

* Re: zlogout not finishing when errors
@ 2004-03-23 20:30 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2004-03-23 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Thorsten Kampe (2004-03-23 19:49 +0100)
> [zsh 4.1.1]
>
> If have put some "cp" commands in my .zlogout. Some files are
> sometimes "nonexistant" - depending on the host and the mounts. So I
> simply wanted to redirect stderr to /dev/null.
>
> To my surprise when of these commands errors ("cp nonexistant_file
> destination") the rest of .zlogout is not read. So I had to put a "if
> [[ -r $file ]]" into .zlogout to make this file finish until the end.
>
> Of course this is not the behaviour of the other rcfiles (.zprofile,
> .zshrc, etc.).
>
> So my question is: is this a known thing (a bug or a feature)?

Okay I found it out (with a little help from PWS): it was the "setopt
errreturn".

So two questions remain:

1. Who put this setting in my .zshrc ;-)?

2. Why don't the login rcfiles terminate when an error occurs - and
just the logout file?

Thorsten