zsh-workers
* Order of matches in select list
@ 1999-08-31 14:15 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1999-08-31 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

select (and may be menu completion as well) arrange matches in columns (a la
/bin/ls output). I find it more natural to be arranged in lines (a la
'/bin/ls -x' output). Am I the only one? What about an option to select either
of two?

/andrej

* Re: Order of matches in select list
@ 1999-09-01  8:21 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-09-01  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> select (and may be menu completion as well) arrange matches in columns (a la
> /bin/ls output). I find it more natural to be arranged in lines (a la
> '/bin/ls -x' output). Am I the only one? What about an option to select either
> of two?

I /think/ we had this question before. If enough people want this I
may try to do that.

And while we are at it... I still have a 2.4.180 version here with an
option named LIST_PACKED which made the columns of completion lists be
shrunk to their minimal widths. Interesting to have when you have
lists with one one or two very long strings and lots of short
strings. In that case you get one or two wide columns and several
small ones -- dramatically reducing the number of lines needed.

Bye
 Sven