zsh-workers
* Re: Examples in _arguments description
@ 2000-05-03  7:12 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-05-03  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> The following paragraph looks strange:
>
>  Every spec may also contain a list of option names and argument
>  numbers with which the option or argument described is mutually
>  exclusive. Such a list is given in parentheses at the
>  beginning, as in `(-two -three 1)-one:...' or `(-foo):...'. In
>  the first example, the options `-two' and `-three' and the
>  first argument will not be offered as possible completions if
>  the option `-one' is on the line before the cursor. Also, the
>  list may contain a single star as one of its elements to
>  specify that the description for the rest arguments should not
>  be used and it may contain a colon to specify that the
>  descriptions for all normal (non-option-) arguments should not
>  be used.
>
> The second example `(-foo):...' is not mentioned anywhere and looks a
> bit strange anyway.

What do you mean by `not mentioned anywhere'? It's described
immediately before that: `with which the option *or argument* ...'.

And why does it look `strange'? (At least not stranger than other
things I've written ;-)

Bye
 Sven

* RE: Examples in _arguments description
@ 2000-05-03  7:19 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-05-03  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Wischnowsky, zsh-workers

> > The second example `(-foo):...' is not mentioned anywhere
> and looks a
> > bit strange anyway.
>
> What do you mean by `not mentioned anywhere'? It's described
> immediately before that: `with which the option *or argument* ...'.
>
> And why does it look `strange'? (At least not stranger than other
> things I've written ;-)

Erm ... granted. The problem is, you give two examples immediately
followed by "In the first example ..." - and reader expects then "In the
second example ...". And the whole paragraph stresses the _options_ case
just casually mentioning _arguments_ (hence my confusion). So I suggest
adding something like "In the second example the argument (which one?)
won't be offered if option -foo is present"

-andrej

* Examples in _arguments description
@ 2000-05-03  7:07 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-05-03  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]