zsh-workers
* zsh-3.1.6-dev-22 broken several ways on AIX
@ 2000-04-11 16:08 The Corridor
From: The Corridor @ 2000-04-11 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Several problems show up in this snapshot:

1) -disable-dynamic no longer works, modules always seem to be enabled.

2) the GETGPRGP macro should resolve to getpgrp(), not getpgrp(0).

Suggestions about how to fix #1?

* Re: zsh-3.1.6-dev-22 broken several ways on AIX
@ 2000-04-11 16:41 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-04-11 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Corridor, zsh-workers

On Apr 11, 10:08am, The Corridor wrote:
} Subject: zsh-3.1.6-dev-22 broken several ways on AIX
}
} Several problems show up in this snapshot:
}
} 1) -disable-dynamic no longer works, modules always seem to be enabled.

You didn't have this problem with -dev-21 ?  There haven't been any
interesting changes to the build process in a very long time, except
maybe my patch in 10499, but that shouldn't affect AIX specially.

Are you using the FTP snapshots, or the SourceForge CVS repository?  If
the latter, did you remember to run Util/preconfig before making?

Did you start from scratch or were you compiling in a directory where an
earlier version had been built before?

} 2) the GETGPRGP macro should resolve to getpgrp(), not getpgrp(0).

That configure test hasn't changed in a *very* long time.  When was the
last snapshot you built successfully?

* Re: zsh-3.1.6-dev-22 broken several ways on AIX
@ 2000-04-11 17:18 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2000-04-11 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

The Corridor wrote:

> Several problems show up in this snapshot:
> 1) -disable-dynamic no longer works, modules always seem to be enabled.

Are you sure they are enabled. zmodload tries to behave consistently so with dynamic modules disabled, zmodload will still list the available modules. Try zmodload zsh/stat - it should fail, then try zmodload zsh/sched and it should succeed.

I actually think that zsh should automatically load any modules which are compiled in such as sched.

I hadn't tried building a static zsh on AIX (3.2.5) for a long time but it still seems to work. In what way is your static zsh broken (or failing to build)?

Oliver Kiddle

* Re: zsh-3.1.6-dev-22 broken several ways on AIX
@ 2000-04-11 18:13   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-04-11 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Apr 11,  6:18pm, Oliver Kiddle wrote:

> I actually think that zsh should automatically load any modules which
> are compiled in such as sched.

I think this should be handled by one of (decreasing order of preference):

(1) enabled by a configure option, or
(2) enabled somehow through mymods.conf, or
(3) enabled by a change to the .mdd file.

I looked at (3) back when the other zmodload changes went in, but didn't
make any progress.

* Re: zsh-3.1.6-dev-22 broken several ways on AIX
@ 2000-04-11 16:57 The Corridor
From: The Corridor @ 2000-04-11 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

> On Apr 11, 10:08am, The Corridor wrote:
> } Subject: zsh-3.1.6-dev-22 broken several ways on AIX
> }
> } Several problems show up in this snapshot:
> }
> } 1) -disable-dynamic no longer works, modules always seem to be enabled.
>
> You didn't have this problem with -dev-21 ?  There haven't been any
> interesting changes to the build process in a very long time, except
> maybe my patch in 10499, but that shouldn't affect AIX specially.

Best I can tell this occurs in -dev-21 and -dev-22. -dev-20 seemed to work,
as best I can recall.

> Are you using the FTP snapshots, or the SourceForge CVS repository?  If
> the latter, did you remember to run Util/preconfig before making?

FTP'ed snapshot.

> Did you start from scratch or were you compiling in a directory where an
> earlier version had been built before?

Starting from a clean untar into the directory.

> } 2) the GETGPRGP macro should resolve to getpgrp(), not getpgrp(0).
>
> That configure test hasn't changed in a *very* long time.  When was the
> last snapshot you built successfully?

I know. I've been hand-munging this and the "#pragma alloca" statement
in system.h for quite a while. To support alloca requires the '-ma' option
at compile time. The "#pragma alloca" generates a warning for every source
file compiled.

If it would help I can untar the source in a fresh directory and send you
a log of each step. Maybe that might surface the problem.