zsh-workers
* "cancelling" menu completion?
@ 1999-03-04 15:52 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1999-03-04 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any way to "cancel" completion, when meny completion is active? The
possible meaning of "cancel" can be

 - remove anything that was inserted by completion code and restore the
original string
 - remove the part of word being completed (possibly ignoring IPREFIX)

To illustrate the latter: suppose you complete

  dd if=/a/b/c

and after menu completion has started, you found, it was somewhat wrong :-)
So, I'd like to remove anything that was inserted but leave ``dd if='' in
place.

Just musing ...

/andrej

* Re: "cancelling" menu completion?
@ 1999-03-04 18:41 ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 1999-03-04 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrej Borsenkow" writes:
>  - remove anything that was inserted by completion code and restore the
> original string

Are you forgetting "undo" (Ctrl-_)?  Or are you wanting to get
rid of all the completion changes that may have occurred with
one keystroke (instead of having to undo multiple times)?

..wayne..

* RE: "cancelling" menu completion?
@ 1999-03-05  9:16   ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1999-03-05  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Holy Wayne! Is it in a FAQ?

@ 1999-03-04 16:07 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-03-04 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> Is there any way to "cancel" completion, when meny completion is active? The
> possible meaning of "cancel" can be
>
>  - remove anything that was inserted by completion code and restore the
> original string
>  - remove the part of word being completed (possibly ignoring IPREFIX)
>
> To illustrate the latter: suppose you complete
>
>   dd if=/a/b/c
>
> and after menu completion has started, you found, it was somewhat wrong :-)
> So, I'd like to remove anything that was inserted but leave ``dd if='' in
> place.

Not yet. We have this `discussion' (well, at least we mentioned it
already) about giving information about the `current' state to
completion widgets. I.e. information like `there is already a se of
matches', `the matches are listed', etc. Then we would like to have a
way to say what should be done with this list (`ignore it, build a new
one', `use it, but do ... next', etc). Anyone who wants to think about
this is welcome.

For further information, see 5479, 5501, 5551 and probably others I
have forgotten.

Bye
 Sven