zsh-workers
* print texinfo doubleside?
@ 1998-12-21 15:30 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1998-12-21 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I understand that this is not directly related to ZSH, but I just tried to
print the latest texinfo from pws-4 and found usual problem ...

Is it posible to format  texinfo for double side printing? Currently,
margins are the same for both odd and even pages - that not only looks ugly,
but sometimes text is so near to bind side, that it is almost impossible to
read.

thank you

/andrej

* Re: print texinfo doubleside?
@ 1998-12-21 16:00 ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 1998-12-21 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrej Borsenkow" <borsenkow.msk@sni.de> writes:

> Is it posible to format  texinfo for double side printing? Currently,
> margins are the same for both odd and even pages - that not only looks ugly,
> but sometimes text is so near to bind side, that it is almost impossible to
> read.

According to the Texinfo manual:

`@setchapternewpage odd'
     Cause TeX to start new chapters on new, odd-numbered pages
     (right-handed pages) and to typeset for double-sided printing.
     This is the form most often used for books and manuals.

So sticking this in the generated texi file ought to work.  I haven't
tried it.

* RE: print texinfo doubleside?
@ 1998-12-21 17:36   ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1998-12-21 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

thank you. Unfortunately, it is already there, and new chapters are really
started on odd pages. But page margins are totally wrong. The right margin
is so tiny, that it is impossible to bind them (the right margin bocomes
left on even pages :-)

sigh ...

(May be, it depends on TeX distribution? I used MikTeX on NT)

/andrej

@ 1998-12-21 19:10     ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 1998-12-21 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Typing away merrily, Andrej Borsenkow produced the immortal words:
> (May be, it depends on TeX distribution? I used MikTeX on NT)

Shouldn't do.  Knuth designed TeX to be completely platform independent.
He raised hell when someone changed one of the fonts and the changes
made their way into several GNU/Linux distributiions -- a character
width change meant the results were different.

Of course, it /could/ be that the NT porters fiddled about.  *shrugs*
--
--> Phil Pennock ; GAT d- s+:+ a22 C++(++++) UL++++/I+++/S+++/H+ P++@ L+++
E-@ W(+) N>++ o !K w--- O>+ M V !PS PE Y+ PGP+ t-- 5++ X+ R !tv b++>+++ DI+ D+

* Re: print texinfo doubleside?
@ 1998-12-22  3:00     ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 1998-12-22  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow <borsenkow.msk@sni.de> typed:
:thank you. Unfortunately, it is already there, and new chapters are really
:started on odd pages. But page margins are totally wrong. The right margin
:is so tiny, that it is impossible to bind them (the right margin bocomes
:left on even pages :-)
:sigh ...

``@afourpaper'' is there too.  And what size paper are you trying to
print on?
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : 0412 162 441
Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/   Ego URL: http://pobox.com/~gcw/

* RE: print texinfo doubleside?
@ 1998-12-22 12:00       ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1998-12-22 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mason, zsh-workers

> ``@afourpaper'' is there too.  And what size paper are you trying to
> print on?

A4. The margins are O.K. for this side, assuming I print on one side only
:-) Odd pages have large left margins for binding and relatively small right
margins. The problem is, on even pages these right margins fall on binding
side. Basically, double side formatting should exchange margines for even
pages.

Thanks to all who cared to answer :-)

... after some digging in texinfo.tex ...

  - texinfo.tex has support for double side :-)
  - '@setchapternewpage odd' only makes chapters start on odd pages
    and modifies page numbers layout
  - '@afourpaper' sets page dimensions to A4 page but does not care
    about double side story. I even suspect, dimesions are wrong.
    I remember something about that in README of texinfo, that they
    deliberately set page width for letter size even when printing on
    A4.
  - additional macro '@afourlatex' does exactly what I want !

It appears, that you still need afourpaper to set some defaults properly. I
added afourlatex just after afourpaper in zsh.texi and got almost perfect
result (the margins are about 3-4mm off) with much better margins overall -
now right text side does not stick to right paper side.

Now, if I new how to make this automatically ...

/andrej