zsh-workers
From: "Andrej Borsenkow" <borsenkow.msk@sni.de>
To: "Peter Stephenson" <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>,
	"Zsh hackers list" <zsh-workers@sunsite.auc.dk>
Subject: Modules and function install RE: pws-22
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:40:27 +0400	[thread overview]

It looks, like more elaborate function install scheme is needed. I just
installed pws-22 on a system that has problems with modules. So, I included most
modules (incl. zftp) in xmods.conf, configured, built - and 'course, Zftp/* was
not installed.

You may say, I had to include it manually - may be. But note, that

 - Most end users are not expected to know, what module needs which functions.
 - what's worse, I must define the whole list - again, how do I know it (that
was mainly the reason I suggested INCLUDE/EXCLUDE options). I hope, more modules
will be born ... with more functions (hopefully) ... and you cannot be sure,
everything is listed in INSTALL. In any case, at some time it will be tedious
(at least).

What we now have starts to look more and more like a package (in Perl's sense) -
a bit of software, consisting of binary and/or shell code. One example is new
completion - another one is zftp. So, ideally, installation should be handled
automatically - if this package is included (either as module or as compiled
in), corresponding functions should be installed as well. And I can well imagine
a package, consisting only of shell code.

Is it sensible?

/andrej