zsh-workers
* erroneous completion when using {}
@ 2000-06-27 15:55 Jan Fedak
From: Jan Fedak @ 2000-06-27 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh workers

Hello.

When I use {} in a glob pattern like this:

$ cat some/path/{directory\ 1, directory\ 2,_
                                           ^
					   cursor :)

and hit tab, my precious backslashes get lost:

$ cat some/path/{directory 1,directory 2,directory\

That is wrong and my glob pattern won't succeed later.

Jan

P.S. And my version: 3.1.6-dev-20, I use the new completion system.

--
  Jan Fedak                            talk:jack@tornado.sh.cvut.cz
  mailto:J.Fedak@sh.cvut.cz                    mailto:jack@mobil.cz

* RE: erroneous completion when using {}
@ 2000-06-27 16:11 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-06-27 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Fedak, Zsh workers

> Hello.
>
> When I use {} in a glob pattern like this:
>
> $ cat some/path/{directory\ 1, directory\ 2,_
>                                            ^
> 					   cursor :)
>
> and hit tab, my precious backslashes get lost:
>
> $ cat some/path/{directory 1,directory 2,directory\
>
> That is wrong and my glob pattern won't succeed later.
>
> Jan
>
> P.S. And my version: 3.1.6-dev-20, I use the new completion system.

Something like this happens in current CVS version (3.1.9-dev-1 +
patches).

bor@itsrm2% ls -1
a 1
a 2
a 3
bor@itsrm2% ls $PWD/{a\ 1,<CURSOR>a\ 2
                      (no blank between `,' and `a') after TAB
bor@itsrm2% ls $PWD/{a 1,a\ 2,
                      TAB once more
bor@itsrm2% ls $PWD/{a 1,a\ 2,
Completing `file'

The completion just after braces work:

bor@itsrm2% ls $PWD/{<TAB>
bor@itsrm2% ls $PWD/{a\ 1
Completing file
a\ 1   a\ 2   a\ 3
                     a-a-m-c
bor@itsrm2% ls $PWD/{a\ 1,a\ 2
Completing file
a\ 1   a\ 2   a\ 3

-andrej

P.S. curly braces are not glob pattern ...

* Re: erroneous completion when using {}
@ 2000-06-28  9:22 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-06-28  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Jan Fedak wrote:

> When I use {} in a glob pattern like this:
>
> $ cat some/path/{directory\ 1, directory\ 2,_
>                                            ^
> 					   cursor :)
>
> and hit tab, my precious backslashes get lost:
>
> $ cat some/path/{directory 1,directory 2,directory\

Oh, this is ugly. The problem is this: the completion code gets the
line tokenized, where the backslashes are turned int Bnull tokens. It
has to remove them for normal completion. After that comes the code
that looks for brace expansions, so that can't put the backslashes
back because it can't find where they were. Doing the brace expansion
stuff before removing the Null tokens won't work either because the
brace expansion code has to remove the `{foo,' things from the string.

And just quoting the strings the brace expansion code removes won't
work either because of `{{a,b},' (the braces of `{a,b}' would be
quoted). So we either need a special quoting function or a good idea.

I've got to think about this some more.

Bye
 Sven