zsh-workers
* Re: PATCH: Re: Completion and global aliases
@ 1999-06-09  8:53 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-06-09  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> And it looks like we'd better do something with options, too.  There is the
> code from compinstall, but then there's always the possibility we could
> make it a function as Andrej keeps suggesting.  compinstall could still
> work out the path to the completion functions and make it get passed down
> to compinit, and if compdump was also a function it wouldn't need searching
> for, which removes one headache.

And to avoid having them take up memory we could put (the equivalent
of) `unfunction compinit; autoload compinit' at their ends.

(At least the memory thing was the only reason why I was against
turning them into functions and I hadn't thought of this before... I'm
a bit slow sometimes.)

Bye
 Sven

* Completion and global aliases
@ 1999-06-09  2:43 Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 1999-06-09  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I figured out what was going wrong with getting completion running
with my setup.  The running of the completion code is apparently
being affected by all my global aliases.  I happen to have a global
alias named "X" that is getting expanded by a completion script and
is causing a syntax error.

This brings up the issue:  shouldn't completion really be running in
a pre-defined environment, not the user's current environment?
I.e.  I don't want all my interactive options, aliases, etc. to
affect the running of the scripts.

It seems to me like we need the code that runs the completion
scripts to switch over to its own options/aliases/whatever-else
and then switch back when it finishes.

..wayne..