Hi, I've noticed that in contexts where escape sequences are expanded and \c's should not be recognized (i.e., not in arguments to the various printing commands), then a \c is actually treated synonymous to \U. The attached patch contains a fix. While inspecting the code I came across another glitch: If a \c occurs in the separator string of a $arr[(pws:...:)...] subscript, it is not treated like an unrecognized sequence (i.e., replaced by a "c"), but removed completely. (Note that ${(p...)...} gets this right.) The attached patch also fixes that. Finally, I've discovered that \c in an argument to a printing command only suppresses the final newline, but according POSIX it should suppress all output after the \c, and that's what ksh, bash, and echo/printf from GNU coreutils do. So is the current behaviour really desired, or should I send a patch to change it? Best regards Thorsten Dahlheimer