Wayne Davison wrote: > I'm curious which version of coreutils behaves that way? I've got 5.2.1 > on my system, and it behaves as zsh does. Indeed, echo seems to have been changed after the 5.2.1 release (I tested with 5.3.0). Printf behaves as I described even in 5.2.1, though. > If we want to change the > behavior, the attached patch should handle it. Not quite, since it doesn't handle these cases: %/usr/bin/echo -e 'a\c' b a %/usr/bin/printf '%s\c%s' a b c a %/usr/bin/printf '%b %b\n' a b 'c\c' d e a b c I've attached an extended patch that should do this. Regards, Thorsten Dahlheimer