zsh-workers
From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
To: zsh-workers@sunsite.dk
Subject: Re: Problems with non-ascii filenames
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:06:58 -0800	[thread overview]

On Feb 28, 10:35pm, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
}
} > Wolfgang, if you're reading this, something that I forgot to mention
} > in my reply to you is that sometime during 4.3.x zsh began to pay
} > closer attention to characters that are absent from the declared LANG
} > character set and to either refuse to process them at all, or to
} > render them as digits surrounded by angle brackets.
}
} Unfortunately that does not play nicely with PRINTEIGHTBIT.

Well, yes and no.  One could argue that PRINTEIGHTBIT doesn't mean
"print multibyte as raw bytes" but rather "if the character set is
not multibyte then print characters even if the high bit is set."

However, I agree that --enable-multibyte should not have the effect
of changing the behavior on single-byte I/O where the high bit happens
to be set.