zsh-workers
* ZSH installation under Cygwin
@ 2000-06-26  8:59 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-06-26  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is not possible to install Zsh binary under Cygwin if another Zsh is
currently active:

/usr/src/zsh/mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin
/usr/bin/install -c  zsh.exe /usr/local/bin/zsh-3.1.9-dev-1.exe
/usr/bin/install: /usr/local/bin/zsh-3.1.9-dev-1.exe: Permission denied
make[1]: *** [install.bin-here] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/build/zsh/Src'
make: *** [install.bin] Error 2

Any idea? Is it a problem of Zsh, Cygwin or NT? I recall recent
discussion on NTBUGTRAQ that under NT deleted files remain visible as
long as they are opened (as opposed to Unix where directory entry is
removed). It smells like this.

-andrej

Have a nice DOS!
B >>

* Re: ZSH installation under Cygwin
@ 2000-06-26 13:22 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2000-06-26 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

> It is not possible to install Zsh binary under Cygwin if another Zsh is
> currently active:

It has to copy the current zsh binary on top of the current one, since
Windows doesn't have hard links.

This can be fixed by installing Linux on your PC.  At least, I don't know
of another way.  The workaround, of course, is to install the new zsh from
bash, which is what I do.

Annoyingly, the usual trick of exec'ing something else within the window
doesn't work either.  Windows seems to remember what you started in the
window.  I still have a suspicion it thinks it's DOS, deep down, whatever
everyone says.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@cambridgesiliconradio.com>
Cambridge Silicon Radio, Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,