zsh-workers
* v3.0.7 - modifiers
@ 2000-03-16  1:59 Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 2000-03-16  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Development Workers

Ullo,

I'm still not re-subscribed (aargh) so please CC me in any followup.
Ta.

Using zsh-3.0.7 - there seems to be a documentation mismatch for the
:modifiers?

The manual-page states:
   q  Quote the substituted words,  escaping  further substitutions.

% foo='foo$bar'
% print $foo
foo$bar
% print ${foo:u}
FOO$BAR        (so I'm not totally insane ...)
% print ${foo:q}
zsh: unrecognized modifier `q'
%

Sorry that I haven't checked the source - installed package on a *BSD
machine.  So ... am I being unusually obtuse (even for me) or is
something amiss here?

Ta,
--
--> Phil Pennock, DeathWatch Admin.
"We've got a patent on the conquering of a country through the use of force.

* Re: v3.0.7 - modifiers
@ 2000-03-16  5:41 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-03-16  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Pennock, Zsh Development Workers

On Mar 16,  2:59am, Phil Pennock wrote:
} Subject: v3.0.7 - modifiers
}
} The manual-page states:
}    q  Quote the substituted words,  escaping  further substitutions.
}
} % print ${foo:q}
} zsh: unrecognized modifier `q'
}
} Sorry that I haven't checked the source - installed package on a *BSD
} machine.  So ... am I being unusually obtuse (even for me) or is
} something amiss here?

For a very long time, the :q and :x modifiers worked only on history
substitutions.  They still don't work on variables in 3.0.x.  I thought
this was in the doc somewhere, and it used to be in the FAQ, but it was
apparently dropped from the FAQ entirely when it got fixed in 3.1.6.

I'm trying to figure out now if I was imagining it being in the docs at
all and, if I wasn't imagining it, how it got removed.

In any case :q and :x don't work as they do in csh in any version of
zsh, and it appears that ${foo:x} is still unrecognized in 3.1.6-dev-19
(which probably ought to get put back into the FAQ if PWS eventually
sees this).