zsh-workers
* List of unresolved issues
@ 2000-04-12  6:14 Bart Schaefer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-04-12  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Some of these may actually have been resolved and I just forgot/missed it.
Also, these are only issues raised in messages I sent myself.

10403		<(...) doesn't really create a FIFO
10346		rebuilding zshpaths.h
users/2979	assigning a string containing `:' to $path
10187		combining multiple zstyle commands into one
10169		%(l.t.f) and line wrapping in prompts
users/2973	clear to end of display
10154		$param:x and the FAQ
10080		move compctl support functions out of Misc/
10071		xtrace behavior of `.' and `source'
10005		bogus "no such job" / STAT_NOPRINT
9996		vared keymap
9982		comptest (lack of) verbosity
9962		renumbering comptest
9945		somebody check my work ...
9778		hanging on loops with lots of output
9762		nameddir assoc elements [*]
9702		configure switch for mymods.conf (cf. 9727)
9575		export arrays like ksh
9095		getopts is broken
9062		suspending `.' / `source'
9000		parameter formatting / ksh export (cf. 8674)
8861		posix module
8780		format of error messages
8758		locales and math (cf. 8792)
8698		bad node type in freenode (related to 9095?)
8619		locales and globbing
8378		configure --zsh-mem-debug

There are probably others from even longer ago, but my eyes are starting
to glaze over; I think I've reached the point of diminishing returns.

[*] as long as we're talking about fixing the lexer for AAs anyway ...

Also:

Document the kshautoload problem with the completion system and how one
works around it with zcompile.

* Re: List of unresolved issues
@ 2000-04-13 12:46 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-04-13 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> Some of these may actually have been resolved and I just forgot/missed it.
> Also, these are only issues raised in messages I sent myself.

> 10187		combining multiple zstyle commands into one

I have the feeling I should have an opinion about this one but it
appears that I haven't. If my setup is anything to go by (58 calls to
zstyle ;-), it *would* simplify some of them, but I normally add new
ones with \M-w\C-y, so...
I offer to write it when you folks decide that we want it. I don't
think I'll offer to make `zstyle -L' print them in this form, though
(but I haven't really thought about how difficult that would be).

> 10080		move compctl support functions out of Misc/

Maybe together with the other function cleanup in the completion
system.

> 10071		xtrace behavior of `.' and `source'

I still find our behaviour much more consistent and it gives us both
possibilities. So if at all, I think we should use a option for it
(yet another `emulate ksh' thing).

> 10005		bogus "no such job" / STAT_NOPRINT

Sniff.

> 9996		vared keymap

A very simple way would be to just allow users to give a keymap via an
option that would be used as a `local' keymap the way menu-selection
does it, i.e. all functions but undefined-key in that map override the
definitions in the normally used keymap.
This is the place where I wished Anthony would have found the time to
give us the code for the stuff he told us about in 6938.

> 9778		hanging on loops with lots of output

Oops. I had forgotten about this one. Does it still happen?

> 9062		suspending `.' / `source'

An option? Tested only after the init scripts have been read?

> 8698		bad node type in freenode (related to 9095?)

I sent a patch for this in 8721 (at least it solved it for me). And
Peter had a look at and a patch for it when he came back. And since
then the whole node-stuff has been removed (the nodes in question were
the ones used to store executable code).

> 8619		locales and globbing

The last reply to this was 8625 -- and I still think this should be
done with a glob flag or an option and a glob flag. Or something.

And there is also still your FPATH-in-the-environment-and-then-that-if
thing...

Bye
 Sven

* Re: List of unresolved issues
@ 2000-04-14  8:18 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-04-14  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Apr 13,  2:46pm, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> } Subject: Re: List of unresolved issues
> }
> } Bart Schaefer wrote:
> }
> } > Some of these may actually have been resolved and I just forgot/missed it.
> } > Also, these are only issues raised in messages I sent myself.
> } >
> } > ...
> } > 10187		combining multiple zstyle commands into one
> }
> } I offer to write it when you folks decide that we want it.
>
> Actually, I now think the shell function implementation is fine.  Maybe
> just copy that function into Functions/Misc?
>
> I don't care about the -L output part.

In that case I would have voted for the function, too.

I don't understand why it uses case instead of if/else, though:

  zmultstyle() {
    if [[ $1 = -* ]]; then
      zstyle "$@"
    else
      setopt localoptions noksharrays
      integer i
      local context="$1"
      1=''
      for ((i=2; $#; ++i)); do
        if [[ $i -gt $# || "$argv[i]" == '+' ]]; then
          zstyle "$context${(@)argv[1,i-1]}"
  	shift "i > $# ? $# : i"  # Stupid shift error on i > $#
  	i=1
        fi
      done
    fi
  }

The `zMULTstyle' and the missing `builtin's: I would be against naming
it just `zstyle' for two reasons: 1) speed in the completion functions
which don't need this shortcut syntax because it's only for defining
styles and 2) _complete_help needs to define a zstyle function itself
to collect the style information (if requested). And _complete_help is
too lazy to restore it because it thinks there shouldn't be a function
with the name `zstyle' because of 1).

So, I haven't added/committed this because there probably is a better
name than zmultstyle. Yes?

Bye
 Sven