zsh-workers
* Make zsh a tiny bit cleverer?
@ 2000-04-28 13:44 jarausch
From: jarausch @ 2000-04-28 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,
unless I have missed something (well possible)
I have come across the following (tiny) nuisance.

Let's assume there is an  'ABC' in the search path
and I have added an 'ABCD' while zsh is running.

Doing

ABC

zsh doesn't find it (that's OK, it's not yet hashed) and
suggests
correct 'ABCD' to 'ABC'

If I say 'no' it finds and executes 'ABCD' but doesn't
remember that there is an 'ABCD', indeed.

Next time (unless I have done a 'rehash') it again
suggests ....

Just a thought,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch
Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik

* Re: Make zsh a tiny bit cleverer?
@ 2000-04-28 15:36 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-04-28 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jarausch, zsh-workers

On Apr 28,  3:44pm, jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de wrote:
} Subject: Make zsh a tiny bit cleverer?
}
} ABC
}
} zsh doesn't find it (that's OK, it's not yet hashed) and
} suggests
} correct 'ABCD' to 'ABC'
}
} If I say 'no' it finds and executes 'ABCD' but doesn't
} remember that there is an 'ABCD', indeed.

This should have been fixed last October, at least in the 3.1.x series.
I never put the equivalent into 3.0, apparently because the code in
exec.c has changed enough that it requires some thinking about.  The
article numbers unfortunately aren't in the ChangeLog because ... um ...
because I didn't put them there.  8091 and 8121.

* Re: Make zsh a tiny bit cleverer?
       [not found] <200004281539.RAA11660@numa1.igpm.rwth-aachen.de>
@ 2000-04-28 16:39 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-04-28 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jarausch; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Apr 28,  5:38pm, jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de wrote:
} Subject: Re: Make zsh a tiny bit cleverer?
}
} On 28 Apr, Bart Schaefer wrote:
} > On Apr 28,  3:44pm, jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de wrote:
} > } Subject: Make zsh a tiny bit cleverer?
} > }
} > } ABC
} > }
} > } zsh doesn't find it (that's OK, it's not yet hashed) and
} > } suggests
} > } correct 'ABCD' to 'ABC'
} > }
} > } If I say 'no' it finds and executes 'ABCD' but doesn't
} > } remember that there is an 'ABCD', indeed.
} >
} > This should have been fixed last October, at least in the 3.1.x series.
}
} What am I missing

You're not, I am.

The patches I mentioned are for a similar problem where there is a non-
executable `ABCD' earlier in the search path than an executable `ABCD',
which was causing the intended `ABCD' never to be found.  The symptom
was the same (zsh would offer to correct `ABCD').

So the real answer is that you need to turn off the HASH_DIRS option.
When HASH_DIRS is on, zsh doesn't re-search for new commands until after
it has already forked, so it can't remember it.