zsh-workers
* TAB and PS2 and multiline buffers and vared
@ 2000-05-20 16:42 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-05-20 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

At either the PS2 prompt or in a multiline buffer, with the new completion
system enabled, typing TAB beeps and then inserts the tab.

Why does it beep?

The situation is different in vared (again with a multiline buffer).
Sometimes it beeps and then asks me whether I want to see all 2200
possiblities, other times it just beeps and refuses to insert anything.
Whether it asks or just beeps seems to depend on whether I started out
on vared of a value containing newlines (e.g. vared functions[foo] vs.
vared foo).

Sometimes after this happens the completion system gets into a state
where _complete_debug ceases to function properly.  I type ^X? and the
debug output goes to the file as expected, but _message doesn't work.
Also, `?' gets inserted because of compstate[insert]=tab, which is a bit
strange though not exactly wrong.

* Re: TAB and PS2 and multiline buffers and vared
@ 2000-05-20 16:47 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-05-20 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On May 20,  4:42pm, Bart Schaefer wrote:
} Subject: TAB and PS2 and multiline buffers and vared
}
} Also, `?' gets inserted because of compstate[insert]=tab, which is a bit
} strange though not exactly wrong.

What is wrong is that compstate[insert] ALWAYS contains `tab' thereafter,
so without a prefix both TAB and ^X? are now permanently disabled.