zsh-workers
* FW: About word splitting in read (Zsh)
@ 2000-08-01  5:40 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-08-01  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In (almost latest) CVS:

bor@itsrm2% read -r foo
   qwert   yuiop   !
bor@itsrm2% print -r $foo
qwert   yuiop   !

So, the question is - should we fix -r or introduce new option?

-andrej

* RE: About word splitting in read (Zsh)
@ 2000-08-01  6:49 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-08-01  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Sorry to bother you, but I'm not sure how to use Mailing-Lists.  I found
> > a message of yours while looking through a Zsh archive on the web.
> >
> > I wanted a version of read which didn't perform word splitting, but
> > `read -r'
> > still does one thing I'm trying to prevent: it removes leading whitespace.
> > I'm hoping to preserve all whitespace (a true raw mode).

And trailing spaces as well.

-andrej

* Re: FW: About word splitting in read (Zsh)
@ 2000-08-01  7:15   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-08-01  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 1,  9:40am, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
} Subject: FW: About word splitting in read (Zsh)
}
} In (almost latest) CVS:
}
} bor@itsrm2% read -r foo
}    qwert   yuiop   !
} bor@itsrm2% print -r $foo
} qwert   yuiop   !
}
} So, the question is - should we fix -r or introduce new option?

Neither.

zagzig[271] IFS=$'\n' read -r line <<<'   this has   many   spaces   '
zagzig[272] echo %$line%
%   this has   many   spaces   %

On Aug 1, 10:49am, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
}
} And trailing spaces as well.

Uh-huh.

* Re: FW: About word splitting in read (Zsh)
@ 2000-08-01  8:12 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-08-01  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Aug 1,  9:40am, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
> } Subject: FW: About word splitting in read (Zsh)
> }
> } In (almost latest) CVS:
> }
> } bor@itsrm2% read -r foo
> }    qwert   yuiop   !
> } bor@itsrm2% print -r $foo
> } qwert   yuiop   !
> }
> } So, the question is - should we fix -r or introduce new option?
>
> Neither.
>
> zagzig[271] IFS=$'\n' read -r line <<<'   this has   many   spaces   '
> zagzig[272] echo %$line%
> %   this has   many   spaces   %

Ouch. I didn't remember that, even though I already used it...

But still. The docs are wrong (backslashes inside the string). Should
we change the code or the doc?

Bye
 Sven

* Re: FW: About word splitting in read (Zsh)
@ 2000-08-01  7:10 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-08-01  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> In (almost latest) CVS:
>
> bor@itsrm2% read -r foo
>    qwert   yuiop   !
> bor@itsrm2% print -r $foo
> qwert   yuiop   !
>
> So, the question is - should we fix -r or introduce new option?

Don't know. Because: the manual isn't telling the whole truth for -r
anyway. It says that a backslash at EOL does not mean line
continuation. In reality, -r makes *every* backslash be kept.

Bye
 Sven