zsh-workers
* Re: Automatic long options completion for --?
@ 2000-08-01 11:02 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-08-01 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> Struggling with Cygwin I found myself wishing to get at least trivial
> completion for arbitrary command with long options.
>
> Is it possible to complete after -- for *any* command (of course, assuming
> that no specific completion is defined)?

compdef -P _use_lo '*'

> Of course, if this could extract help text as well ... :-)

We had this before. Sometimes just telling us about great ideas is
enough. Sometimes we need more help and sometimes we don't feel like
implementing this ourselves ;-)

So, if you can come up with something reasonable, that is guaranteed
to never produce a wrong description but at least sometimes gives the
right one...

Bye
 Sven

* Re: Automatic long options completion for --?
@ 2000-08-01 17:41 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-08-01 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Aug 1,  1:02pm, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: Re: Automatic long options completion for --?
}
} Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
}
} > Is it possible to complete after -- for *any* command (of course, assuming
} > that no specific completion is defined)?
}
} compdef -P _use_lo '*'

I've been fooling around with a function to be a front-end to _use_lo
that would try to determine whether the command accepts --help and poke
_use_lo into _comps if it does.  Maybe there's some way to combine it
with Adam's completion caching layer so zsh could "learn" which commands
can be completed that way.

* Automatic long options completion for --?
@ 2000-08-01 10:00 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-08-01 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Struggling with Cygwin I found myself wishing to get at least trivial
completion for arbitrary command with long options.

Is it possible to complete after -- for *any* command (of course, assuming
that no specific completion is defined)?

Of course, if this could extract help text as well ... :-)

-andrej

Have a nice DOS!
B >>