zsh-workers
* Re: Moving completion functions
@ 2001-03-22 10:40 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2001-03-22 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Mar 19, 10:46am, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Moving completion functions
> }
> } echo adding tag
> } cvs tag comp-dirs .
> }
> } move $files
>
> I'd throw a "cvs update" in there before the "cvs tag", just in case.

Yes, right.

> Here are my suggestions for renaming in the Functions subdirectory.  I've
> left in Functions/Misc anything that it seemed likely one might want to
> have in one's "standard" fpath, relocated stuff related to old compctl
> completions into Functions/Compctl, and stashed everything else in
> Functions/Examples.  A few of those latter might possibly want to be
> in Misc instead; I've marked those.

For now I've just copied it into the script.

> And of course we could then rename the entire Misc directory to something
> less vague, but I didn't put any thought into that yet.
>
> Functions/Misc/acx		Functions/Examples	# Misc?
> Functions/Misc/cx		Functions/Examples	# Misc?
> Functions/Misc/yp		Functions/Examples	# Misc?
> Functions/Misc/yu		Functions/Examples	# Misc?

I've always thought that these are almost not worth a separate
function file.  Because of that I think `Examples' is fine.

> Functions/Misc/is-at-least	Functions/Misc	# Needs un-ksh-autoloading

So should I change it to our normal format while moving it?

> Functions/Misc/run-help		Functions/Misc	# Add #autoload line?

There's the problem that the file then wouldn't work as a script
(because currently the `#autoload' has to be in the first line, this
could be changed, though).

Btw. is hard-wiring /usr/local/bin/zsh a good idea? And others say
`#! /bin/sh'.

We've been talking once or twice about a more general sub-system
configuration and autoloading mechanism.  And it's still on my list.
Then we just had the discussion about the completion directories.

Maybe we could try to collect ideas after 4.0, come up with a generic
mechanism for auto-loading and installing packages (or sub-packages)
and then convert all functions in the distribution as needed,
integrating Peter's work on config.modules.

Ok, things left:

- possible renaming of the Functions/Misc directory
- possible renaming of the tag- and label-completion-functions
- renaming of the files in Test

Changing top-level directory names to their singular forms seems to
not have been considered anymore.

Bye
 Sven

* Re: Moving completion functions
@ 2001-03-22 11:03 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2001-03-22 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Sven wrote:
> - renaming of the files in Test

We could do them in sections.  There are obviously gaps, but doing them
this way makes it easier to reorder to something more rational when the
gaps (particularly in options and builtins) are filled a bit better.
(It also makes it easier to add an extra digit in one section if that every
becomes necessary, heaven forfend.)

Some of these could still be reordered.  For example, arith could be later
in section B and parameter could be earlier in section C.  We can't
completely get rid of the dependencies, so there's no point losing too much
sleep over it.

Section A: basic command parsing and execution

01grammar.ztst 	       	       	 A01grammar.ztst
02alias.ztst			 A02alias.ztst
03quoting.ztst			 A03quoting.ztst
04redirect.ztst			 A04redirect.ztst
05command.ztst			 A05execution.ztst

Section B: shell commands with special syntax

06arith.ztst			 B01arith.ztst
07cond.ztst			 B02cond.ztst
08traps.ztst			 B03traps.ztst
09funcdef.ztst			 B04funcdef.ztst

Section C: substititution

10prompt.ztst			 C01prompt.ztst
11glob.ztst			 C02glob.ztst
12procsubst.ztst		 C03procsubst.ztst
13parameter.ztst		 C04parameter.ztst
14array.ztst			 C05array.ztst

Section D: options

# We need more tests here!  There was going to be an options test, but
# it's huge to write.
                                [D01options.ztst]
51xtrace.ztst			 D02xtrace.ztst

Section E: builtins

50cd.ztst      	       	       	 E01cd.ztst
# More, more, more
52zregexparse.ztst		 E02zregexparse.ztst

Section F: line editing and completion

53completion.ztst      	       	 F01completion.ztst
54compmatch.ztst		 F02compmatch.ztst
55arguments.ztst                 F03arguments.ztst

CSR Ltd., Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0XL, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070

* Re: Moving completion functions
@ 2001-03-22 17:04 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-03-22 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Mar 22, 11:40am, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: Re: Moving completion functions
}
} > Functions/Misc/is-at-least	Functions/Misc	# Needs un-ksh-autoloading
}
} So should I change it to our normal format while moving it?

That's what I meant, yes.

} > Functions/Misc/acx		Functions/Examples	# Misc?
} > Functions/Misc/cx		Functions/Examples	# Misc?
} > Functions/Misc/yp		Functions/Examples	# Misc?
} > Functions/Misc/yu		Functions/Examples	# Misc?
}
} I've always thought that these are almost not worth a separate
} function file.  Because of that I think `Examples' is fine.

[...]

} Changing top-level directory names to their singular forms seems to
} not have been considered anymore.

Oh, I forgot about that.  At least make that Functions/Example rather
than Examples.  I wouldn't object to Function/* either, but I wasn't
thinking about directory renaming.  (A problem with directory renaming
in CVS is that you then forever afterward have to remember to use
"cvs update -P" to keep the empty directories out of your sandbox.)

* Movign Test functions (Re: Moving completion functions)
@ 2001-03-22 17:14   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-03-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Mar 22, 11:03am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} Sven wrote:
} > - renaming of the files in Test
}
} Some of these could still be reordered.  For example, arith could be later
} in section B and parameter could be earlier in section C.  We can't
} completely get rid of the dependencies, so there's no point losing too much
} sleep over it.
}
} Section E: builtins
}
} 50cd.ztst      	       	       	 E01cd.ztst
} # More, more, more
} 52zregexparse.ztst		 E02zregexparse.ztst

Hmm, I don't believe I'd put cd in the same section with zregexparse.
Separate the "real" builtins from those that are in modules.

Otherwise I like the basic scheme.  How about this:

# Section A: basic command parsing and execution

01grammar.ztst 	       	       	 A01grammar.ztst
02alias.ztst			 A02alias.ztst
03quoting.ztst			 A03quoting.ztst
04redirect.ztst			 A04redirect.ztst
05command.ztst			 A05execution.ztst

# Section B: builtins

50cd.ztst      	       	       	 B01cd.ztst
# More, more, more

# Section C: shell commands with special syntax

06arith.ztst			 C01arith.ztst
07cond.ztst			 C02cond.ztst
08traps.ztst			 C03traps.ztst
09funcdef.ztst			 C04funcdef.ztst

# Section D: substititution

10prompt.ztst			 D01prompt.ztst
11glob.ztst			 D02glob.ztst
12procsubst.ztst		 D03procsubst.ztst
13parameter.ztst		 D04parameter.ztst
14array.ztst			 D05array.ztst

Section E: options

                                [E01options.ztst]
51xtrace.ztst			 E02xtrace.ztst

# Section X: modules

				[X01zmodload.ztst]
52zregexparse.ztst		 X02zregexparse.ztst
# More, more, more

# Section Z: line editing and completion

53completion.ztst		 Z01completion.ztst
54compmatch.ztst		 Z02compmatch.ztst
55arguments.ztst		 Z03arguments.ztst