zsh-workers
From: "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@candle.brasslantern.com>
To: Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>
Cc: zsh-workers@sunsite.dk
Subject: Re: Quoting and ${(e)param} (was Re: destructive list-expand)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 02:25:02 +0000	[thread overview]

On May 16, 11:32pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} "Bart Schaefer" wrote:
} > On May 16,  2:49pm, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} > }  	    for (; *s; s++)
} > } -		if (*s == Qstring)
} > } +		if (!qt && *s == Qstring)
} > }  		    *s = String;
} > } +                else if (*s == Dnull)
} > } +                    qt = !qt;
} >
} > Does anyone remember anything else that might bear on this?  Peter?
}
} No, it wasn't me.  Unfortunately the CVS change is when I updated Akira's
} CVS archive with a whole pile of changes, so all I know is that it happened
} between 15th April 1999 and 6th April 2000.

I have this notation in my personal CVS repository for a revision that
covers the entire body of subst_parse_str():

Sven: 9763: Fix quoting behavior of ${(e)...} substitutions.

Looks like before that patch it used parse_subst_str() instead.  So it
may be that what we need is to call parsestr() when the outer expansion is
quoted, and parse_subst_str() when it is not?