zsh-workers
From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
To: zsh-workers@sunsite.dk
Subject: Re: Various vared problems with screen refresh, etc.
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 04:25:37 +0000	[thread overview]

On Sep 16, 12:21am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} Bart Schaefer wrote:
} > Would anyone object to moving the BAUD doc into the "set by" section?
}
} If it *is* set by the shell, that would seem to me pretty logical.

Well, you'd think so, but ... the following parameters are all set by
the shell, yet described in the "used by" section:

BAUD        IFS          module_path  PROMPT3   PS3          TMPPREFIX
COLUMNS     KEYTIMEOUT   NULLCMD      PROMPT4   PS4          WATCHFMT
fpath       LINES        path         prompt    READNULLCMD  WORDCHARS
histchars   LOGCHECK     PROMPT       PS1       SPROMPT
HISTCHARS   MAILCHECK    PROMPT2      PS2       TIMEFMT

So you'd think the distinction might be that "used by" are parameters
to which assignment changes the behavior of the shell, regardless of
whether the shell supplies a default value; but in that case, what are
argv, EGID, EUID, GID, OPTARG, OPTIND, SECONDS, and UID doing in the
"set by" section?

Also in "used by" are REPLY and reply, which sometimes are set and other
times are used, but _ (underscore), which is similar, is in "set by".

There also doesn't seem to be any sort of ordering in the first page or
so of "set by".  I suppose status and pipestatus are out of order to be
closer to ?, but then what's 0 doing in between them?  (OK, I'll stop
ranting now.)

So perhaps we need either more or fewer categories.