zsh-workers
* I've committed "zargs" ...
@ 2002-09-04  6:32 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-09-04  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I got a bit carried away and implemented the entire set of options from
GNU xargs 4.1.  Rather than post the result here, I've just committed it.
I didn't write any doc for contrib.yo ... does anyone think I should?

Here's `zargs --help':

----------
Usage: zargs [options --] [input-args] [-- command [initial-args]]

If command and initial-args are omitted, "print -r --" is used.

--eof[=eof-str], -e[eof-str]
    Change the end-of-input-args string from "--" to eof-str.  If
    given as --eof=, an empty argument is the end; as --eof or -e,
    with no (or an empty) eof-str, all arguments are input-args.
--exit, -x
    Exit if the size (see --max-chars) is exceeded.
--help
    Print this summary and exit.
--interactive, -p
    Prompt before executing each command line.
--max-args=max-args, -n max-args
    Use at most max-args arguments per command line.
--max-chars=max-chars, -s max-chars
    Use at most max-chars characters per command line.
--max-lines[=max-lines], -l[max-lines]
    Use at most max-lines of the input-args per command line.
    This option is misnamed for xargs compatibility.
--max-procs=max-procs, -P max-procs
    Run up to max-procs command lines in the background at once.
--no-run-if-empty, -r
    Do nothing if there are no input arguments before the eof-str.
--null, -0
    Split each input-arg at null bytes, for xargs compatibility.
--replace[=replace-str], -i[replace-str]
    Substitute replace-str in the initial-args by each initial-arg.
    Implies --exit --max-lines=1.
--verbose, -t
    Print each command line to stderr before executing it.
--version
    Print the version number of zargs and exit.
----------

I spent much more time than I should have on getting the best --max-procs
algorithm I could come up with.  Comments welcome.

* Occasional 'job table full or recursion limit exceeded'
@ 2002-08-28  7:31 Felix Rosencrantz
From: Felix Rosencrantz @ 2002-08-28  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

There are times I will see the following error in my long running active
shells:

I only see this message when attempting to perform completions.  The usual
place I hit the problem is with filename completion on cvs commands.  Though I
will see this problem elsewhere (like this one was when I was completing
'./configure --prefix=<TAB>').  The actual function hitting the problem will
change from each attempt at calling completion.

My job table is not full.  This is a completion I regularly perform without a
problem.  Also, it is possible later in the same shell to have this problem
cleared.   Though once I hit the problem, I can reproduce it reliably, the
completion will always fail, until it clears itself (if it does clear).   (Not
sure what is clearing it.)

This problem was been around for some time, so it's not due to recent changes.
Not sure if it is the job table or completion.

Any thoughts?

-FR.

http://finance.yahoo.com