zsh-workers
* CVS problems at SourceForge
@ 2003-06-14 23:09 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2003-06-14 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I've noticed a lot of problems connecting to the anonymous cvs server
for zsh updates lately.  Does anyone have an opinion on whether we ought
to move the zsh sources elsewhere?

--- Forwarded mail from quinlan@pathname.com (edited for brevity)

From: Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@pathname.com>
To: spamassassin-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [SAtalk] SpamAssassin anonymous CVS out of date
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:34:13 -0700

FYI - the anonymous SpamAssassin CVS tree at sourceforge.net is almost
two days hours old (versus the developer tree) due to worsening CVS
problems at SourceForge.

  http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=2352&group_id=1#cvs

We plan on migrating CVS to a better server.

Daniel

P.S. If you have any projects on SourceForge, it seems like it's time to
get the hell out of Dodge.

--
Daniel Quinlan                     anti-spam (SpamAssassin), Linux, and open
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/   source consulting (looking for new work)

---End of forwarded mail from quinlan@pathname.com

* Re: CVS problems at SourceForge
@ 2003-06-15  1:25 ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2003-06-15  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

In the last episode (Jun 14), Bart Schaefer said:
> I've noticed a lot of problems connecting to the anonymous cvs server
> for zsh updates lately.  Does anyone have an opinion on whether we ought
> to move the zsh sources elsewhere?

Savannah is no better; the entire site was unreachable last weekend.
Are there any other biggish public sites out there?

> P.S. If you have any projects on SourceForge, it seems like it's time to
> get the hell out of Dodge.

Only worth it if there's a better place to go :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com

* Re: CVS problems at SourceForge
@ 2003-06-24  9:29 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2003-06-24  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 14 Jun, Bart wrote:
> I've noticed a lot of problems connecting to the anonymous cvs server
> for zsh updates lately.  Does anyone have an opinion on whether we ought
> to move the zsh sources elsewhere?

Have you had any problems in the last week? Seems to have been better to
me.

There are alternatives if we wanted to move though. I expect sunsite.dk
would host it if we asked. CVS access for the web pages there works
fine. Also, last time the question of moving away from SourceForge came
up, there was an offer to host it at sources.redhat.com.

Oliver

http://www.messagelabs.com

* Re: CVS problems at SourceForge
@ 2003-06-24 17:35   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2003-06-24 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Jun 24, 11:29am, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
}
} On 14 Jun, Bart wrote:
} > I've noticed a lot of problems connecting to the anonymous cvs server
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
} > for zsh updates lately.  Does anyone have an opinion on whether we ought
} > to move the zsh sources elsewhere?
}
} Have you had any problems in the last week?

Ten seconds ago:

schaefer[521] cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.zsh.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/zsh cvs up
cvs [update aborted]: recv() from server cvs.zsh.sourceforge.net: EOF

I've been getting the same from the spamassassin pserver for the last
couple of days.

I rarely have any trouble using the "cvs login" server.

* Re: CVS problems at SourceForge
@ 2003-06-25 13:16   ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2003-06-25 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-workers

> There are alternatives if we wanted to move though. I expect sunsite.dk
> would host it if we asked. CVS access for the web pages there works
> fine. Also, last time the question of moving away from SourceForge came
> up, there was an offer to host it at sources.redhat.com.

Also savannah.gnu.org, alioth.debian.org, and svn.debian.org, each with
their own associated problems, I'm sure.

* Re: CVS problems at SourceForge
@ 2003-06-25 14:40     ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2003-06-25 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart wrote:

> Ten seconds ago:
>
> schaefer[521] cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.zsh.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/zsh cvs up
> cvs [update aborted]: recv() from server cvs.zsh.sourceforge.net: EOF
>
> I've been getting the same from the spamassassin pserver for the last
> couple of days.
>
> I rarely have any trouble using the "cvs login" server.

It is probably worth reading what they say at:
  http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=2352&group_id=1#cvs

Seems that you're hitting a connection cap and that anonymous access now
goes through a backup server that could be up to 24 hours out of date.
Trying the pserver myself (for nedit), I get the same. It sounds to me
like they're making changes at the moment and there's a good chance of
it being fixed.

Are you using the pserver for any reason other than to save yourself the
hassle of typing your password/ssh passphrase? If you're stuck behind a
firewall that is blocking ssh, the daily snapshots are always an
option.

If we move we should make sure that the alternative even offers
anonymous CVS access. I'd also be reluctant to loose the daily snapshots
and ability to download the repository tarball.

Also if we move, it'd be worth reconsidering other things like how we
use the bug tracker or even whether we want to use subversion (which
svn.debian.org - one of Clint's three suggestions would imply).

Oliver

http://www.messagelabs.com

* Re: CVS problems at SourceForge
@ 2003-06-25 16:16       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2003-06-25 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Jun 25,  4:40pm, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
} Subject: Re: CVS problems at SourceForge
}
} It is probably worth reading what they say at:
}   http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=2352&group_id=1#cvs

I did read it ... that was the reason behind starting this thread.
(I wouldn't have forwarded that SA-list message without checking on
the information it referenced.)

} Are you using the pserver for any reason other than to save yourself the
} hassle of typing your password/ssh passphrase?

I use "cvs login" from my home machine where I have my working sandbox
(the one where I do what little zsh dev work I squeeze in these days).
I use the pserver at work for installing zsh, because I never want to
commit any local changes I may make there.

Not everyone is a zsh developer with login access to the sources, though.

} If we move we should make sure that the alternative even offers
} anonymous CVS access. I'd also be reluctant to loose the daily snapshots
} and ability to download the repository tarball.

Yes.  I'd rather not have to move, either, but if sourceforge is going
to collapse into a black hole under the weight of its own success ...

} Also if we move, it'd be worth reconsidering other things like how we
} use the bug tracker

Which at the moment we don't, really ... I suppose somebody is monitoring
it, but this list is still the real "bug tracker" for zsh.