zsh-workers
* sftp with internal completion anybody?
@ 2005-09-21 22:21 Matthias Kopfermann
From: Matthias Kopfermann @ 2005-09-21 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-Workers

hi zshworkers,

the only zpty example i know is the autoloadable function
nslookup.
Now I was wondering if somebody might have used the
zpty-mechanism to program something like that for sftp.
sftp would be much handier if it had internal
filename-completion and stuff like that.

any takers? :)

        Matthias

* Re: sftp with internal completion anybody?
@ 2005-09-22  2:50 ` Andrey Borzenkov
From: Andrey Borzenkov @ 2005-09-22  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Matthias Kopfermann

On Thursday 22 September 2005 02:21, Matthias Kopfermann wrote:
> hi zshworkers,
>
> the only zpty example i know is the autoloadable function
> nslookup.
> Now I was wondering if somebody might have used the
> zpty-mechanism to program something like that for sftp.
> sftp would be much handier if it had internal
> filename-completion and stuff like that.

I wonder if it is possible to handle password request?

Anyway, until it is done, you may consider lftp. It supports sftp and has
quite powerful internal completion (including remote file names).

-andrey

* Re: sftp with internal completion anybody?
@ 2005-09-22  6:32   ` Matthias Kopfermann
From: Matthias Kopfermann @ 2005-09-22  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Borzenkov; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 06:50:16AM +0400, Andrey Borzenkov:
> On Thursday 22 September 2005 02:21, Matthias Kopfermann wrote:
> > the only zpty example i know is the autoloadable function
> > nslookup.
> > Now I was wondering if somebody might have used the
> > zpty-mechanism to program something like that for sftp.
> > sftp would be much handier if it had internal
> > filename-completion and stuff like that.
> >

> I wonder if it is possible to handle password request?

I came to ask that myself.

> Anyway, until it is done, you may consider lftp. It supports sftp and has
> quite powerful internal completion (including remote file names).

thx for telling me. lftp is a great command which I know and
love. I didn't know that it can even handle sftp stuff.

        greetings,

@ 2005-09-22  8:25     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2005-09-22  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Sep 22,  8:32am, Matthias Kopfermann wrote:
} Subject: Re: sftp with internal completion anybody?
}
} On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 06:50:16AM +0400, Andrey Borzenkov:
} >
} > I wonder if it is possible to handle password request?
}
} I came to ask that myself.

Under the doc for the "read" builtin in 4.2.x and later:

    -s
          Don't echo back characters if reading from the terminal.
          Currently does not work with the -q option.

So, it should be possible to recognize a "[Pp]assword:" prompt and
call "read -s", perhaps even "read -se | zpty -w" so you don't
need to store the password in a variable even temporarily.