zsh-workers
* Count of last matches (was: RE: Reading completion manual)
@ 1999-03-03  9:05 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1999-03-03  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Applied to all three: what about some return code to indicate, if
> some matches were added? Currently one has to save, and then
> compare, compstate[nmatches], that looks somewhat ugly. Using
> return code would provide for
>
> compgen -k friends || compgen -u
>
> Looks better for me. Probably, this idea could be used for all
> helper functions as well - is it useful?

What about following: add new item to compstate, say, last_nmatches, that
hold count of matches added by the *last* used compgen, compadd, compcall.
That can be used to test if we got something, and probably may be useful for
other tasks as well. And definitely better

if [[ $compstate[last_nmatches] -gt 0 ]]

than current

save nmatches
call completion
compare

cheers

/andrej

* Re: Count of last matches (was: RE: Reading completion manual)
@ 1999-03-03 16:02 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-03-03 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrej Borsenkow writes:

 > > Applied to all three: what about some return code to indicate, if
 > > some matches were added? Currently one has to save, and then
 > > compare, compstate[nmatches], that looks somewhat ugly. Using
 > > return code would provide for
 > >
 > > compgen -k friends || compgen -u
 >
 > What about following: add new item to compstate, say, last_nmatches,
 > that hold count of matches added by the *last* used compgen, compadd,
 > compcall.

That might be useful, but I think the most useful bit of information is
whether anything at all was added (or whether the calling function
should behave as if anything at all was added, which may be a different
thing).

So even if a last_nmatches key were added to compstate, I'd still be in
favor of a useful return value from compgen et al.

* Re: Count of last matches (was: RE: Reading completion manual)
@ 1999-03-03  9:31 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-03-03  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> What about following: add new item to compstate, say, last_nmatches, that
> hold count of matches added by the *last* used compgen, compadd, compcall.
> That can be used to test if we got something, and probably may be useful for
> other tasks as well. And definitely better
>
> if [[ $compstate[last_nmatches] -gt 0 ]]

Easy to add. Some more feedback?

> than current
>
> save nmatches
> call completion