zsh-workers
* ZSH 2GB File Limit (Solaris 2.6)
@ 1999-05-04  7:24 Peter Bray
From: Peter Bray @ 1999-05-04  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Peter Bray

Greetings All,

	I recently compiled zsh-3.1.5 on a Solaris 2.6 SPARC System using
gcc-2.8.1. The installed tree (/pkgs/zsh-3.1.5/{bin,man,..}) was then
installed on several nodes. (I'm pointing this out but I don't believe it
is relevant - I hope)

	The following command "cat /dev/zero > junk" was found to stop
writing to the file junk when it reached 2 GB in size. Using /bin/ksh
with the same command on the same VxFS file system (with large file
support turned on) resulted in the command running until it filled up the
disk (there was 6GB remaining on the disk). Having recently compile a dew
GNU tools I notice they turn on large file support durring compilation.

	I hope this bug report is useful and not a repeat

Regards,
Peter

PS: I'm not on the mailing list

Peter Bray                                  Email : Peter.Bray@Aus.Sun.COM
Sun Professional Services                   Phone : +61 2 9466 9456
Ground Floor - 33 Berry Street              Fax   : +61 2 9466 9411
North Sydney NSW 2060 Australia             URL   : http://www.sun.com

* Re: ZSH 2GB File Limit (Solaris 2.6)
@ 1999-05-04  8:34 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1999-05-04  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Peter Bray wrote:
> 	The following command "cat /dev/zero > junk" was found to stop
> writing to the file junk when it reached 2 GB in size. Using /bin/ksh
> with the same command on the same VxFS file system (with large file
> support turned on) resulted in the command running until it filled up the
> disk (there was 6GB remaining on the disk). Having recently compile a dew
> GNU tools I notice they turn on large file support durring compilation.

That's this code from bash's configure.  What do we do, just copy it and
change BASH to ZSH?  The configure system has a fairly free-wheeling
copyright.  Are there any other issues?  I don't know anything about large
file support.

dnl
dnl If available, use support for large files unless the user specified
dnl one of the CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, or LIBS variables (<eggert@twinsun.com>
dnl via GNU patch 2.5)
dnl
AC_DEFUN(BASH_LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT,
[AC_MSG_CHECKING(whether large file support needs explicit enabling)
ac_getconfs=''
ac_result=yes
ac_set=''
ac_shellvars='CPPFLAGS LDFLAGS LIBS'
for ac_shellvar in $ac_shellvars; do
  case $ac_shellvar in
  CPPFLAGS) ac_lfsvar=LFS_CFLAGS ac_lfs64var=LFS64_CFLAGS ;;
  *) ac_lfsvar=LFS_$ac_shellvar ac_lfs64var=LFS64_$ac_shellvar ;;
  esac
  eval test '"${'$ac_shellvar'+set}"' = set && ac_set=$ac_shellvar
  (getconf $ac_lfsvar) >/dev/null 2>&1 || { ac_result=no; break; }
  ac_getconf=`getconf $ac_lfsvar`
  ac_getconf64=`getconf $ac_lfs64var`
  ac_getconfs=$ac_getconfs$ac_getconf\ $ac_getconf64
  eval ac_test_$ac_shellvar="\$ac_getconf\ \$ac_getconf64"
done
case "$ac_result$ac_getconfs" in
yes) ac_result=no ;;
esac
case "$ac_result$ac_set" in
yes?*) ac_result="yes, but $ac_set is already set, so use its settings"
esac
AC_MSG_RESULT($ac_result)
case $ac_result in
yes)
  for ac_shellvar in $ac_shellvars; do
    eval $ac_shellvar=\$ac_test_$ac_shellvar
  done ;;
esac
])

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 050 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/

* Re: ZSH 2GB File Limit (Solaris 2.6)
@ 1999-05-04 18:00   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-05-04 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On May 4, 10:34am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: ZSH 2GB File Limit (Solaris 2.6)
}
} That's this code from bash's configure.  What do we do, just copy it and
} change BASH to ZSH?

Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), this configure
stuff doesn't do anything but define BASH_LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT.  There must
be some actual C code somewhere in the bash source that tests for that
constant and does *something*.  That something is far more interesting
than the configure part.

* Re: ZSH 2GB File Limit (Solaris 2.6)
@ 1999-05-04 19:04     ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 1999-05-04 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

> On May 4, 10:34am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> } Subject: Re: ZSH 2GB File Limit (Solaris 2.6)
> }
> } That's this code from bash's configure.  What do we do, just copy it and
> } change BASH to ZSH?
>
> Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), this configure
> stuff doesn't do anything but define BASH_LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT.  There must
> be some actual C code somewhere in the bash source that tests for that
> constant and does *something*.  That something is far more interesting
> than the configure part.

I got into this discussion late, but that's not what the code in
bash's aclocal.m4 does.  It's designed to work with the Solaris large
file stuff, and very little, if anything, else.  It uses getconf to
test for, in turn,

	LFS_CFLAGS
	LFS64_CFLAGS
	LFS_LDFLAGS
	LFS64_LDFLAGS
	LFS_LIBS
	LFS64_LIBS

sets

	ac_getconfs

to any values returned, and sets

	ac_test_CPPFLAGS
	ac_test_LDFLAGS
	ac_test_LIBS

to the values appropriate for those variables as returned by getconf.

If any of those variables has a value, the CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and LIBS
variables get seeded from them.  The bash configure calls
BASH_LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT before any other autoconf tests that can set
these values, right after AC_PROG_CC.

On Solaris 2.6, CPPFLAGS gets set to

CPPFLAGS = -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE

This stuff gets used only if the user didn't pass values for the
variables in configure's environment.

The cpp defines and libraries (if any) make solaris use the 64-bit
versions of certain file-handling system calls.  Run `man interface64'
on a Solaris 2.6 machine for more info.

Chet

( ``Discere est Dolere'' -- chet)

Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University	Internet: chet@po.CWRU.Edu

* Re: ZSH 2GB File Limit (Solaris 2.6)
@ 1999-05-04 19:21     ` Kevin Sullivan
From: Kevin Sullivan @ 1999-05-04 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer writes:
> On May 4, 10:34am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> } Subject: Re: ZSH 2GB File Limit (Solaris 2.6)
> }
> } That's this code from bash's configure.  What do we do, just copy it and
> } change BASH to ZSH?
>
> Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), this configure
> stuff doesn't do anything but define BASH_LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT.  There must
> be some actual C code somewhere in the bash source that tests for that
> constant and does *something*.  That something is far more interesting
> than the configure part.

Here is what I have in the changelog from the source distribution of
bash v2.0.3.

                                   10/6
                                   ----
aclocal.m4
        - change BASH_RLIMIT_TYPE so that it looks for rlim_t in
          <sys/resource.h> as well as <sys/types.h>, for Solaris 2.6
        - new macro, BASH_LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT, to enable special
          compilation options for large files on Solaris 2.6 (from
          eggert@twinsun.com)

I also have a problem with large file limits and was hoping that this
was the solution to my problem. But apparently not.

Kevin Sullivan
kevins@mediaone.net