zsh-workers
From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
To: Zsh workers <zsh-workers@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: muddled completion search status
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:15:49 -0700	[thread overview]

On Jun 17, 12:35am, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
}
} I wrote:
} > There's a further feature where if you press Ctrl-S (or whatever) again,
} > it will restore the last search string used. This feature is also
} > triggered if your next key is that for a reverse search.
}
} After checking, I noticed that this is exactly the same for history
} incremental search. Again, I think it is better not to restore the
} previous search string if the search direction has changed.

Unless I misunderstand you, repeating a search in emacs searches again
for the last-searched-for string no matter which direction the new
search is going.  The same is true for vi's "n" or "N" command for
searching again up/downward.  Why do you think it's wrong to restore
the last search string?  I would prefer not to break similarity (I won't
go so far as to say "compatibility") with emacs in this regard.

So maybe I'm just not following what you mean.