zsh-workers
* datasize limit when building zsh
@ 2002-04-17 21:09 luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-04-17 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hello,

I need to increase the datasize (limit) when building zsh because it
is set to 2047MB by default.

Is this a zsh config option or a OS option (I'm on Solaris 2.6 but
there is nothing in /etc/system about this).

I tried searching on zsh.org but the search server was refusing
connections and google produced nothing useful.

What file do I modify before I build zsh with a higher datasize limit?

* Re: datasize limit when building zsh
@ 2002-04-17 21:28 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-04-17 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luis fernandes; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, luis fernandes wrote:

> I need to increase the datasize (limit) when building zsh because it
> is set to 2047MB by default.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this.  Do you mean you need a larger
limit in order to successfully compile zsh, or that you want the limit to
be larger in a running zsh?

If the latter, this is an operating system thing, not a zsh thing.  Zsh
can reset the limits to anything up to the OS-enforced "hard limit."
Look at the "limit" and "ulimit" commands in the zsh documentation.

> Is this a zsh config option or a OS option (I'm on Solaris 2.6 but
> there is nothing in /etc/system about this).

The hard limits are what is called a "kernel parameter."  I don't recall
how to change those in Solaris (it's been at least 6 years since I did any
Sun system administration) but recompiling zsh is definitely not the way.

* Re: datasize limit when building zsh
@ 2002-04-17 21:35   ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-04-17 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

    schaefer> or that you want the limit to be larger in
    schaefer> a running zsh?

Yes. A user is having problems allocating more than 2GB and 'limit'
reported that datasize was set to 2078MB.

    schaefer> If the latter, this is an operating system thing, not a
    schaefer> zsh thing.

OK.

Thanks for the prompt response; I will look at the OS side of it now.