zsh-workers
* RE: behaviour with rsh
@ 1995-10-10 20:00 Heading, Anthony
From: Heading, Anthony @ 1995-10-10 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Hidvegi; +Cc: zsh-workers

Zoltan wrote
> % rsh -n bolyai 'exec xterm -d :0 <&- >&- 2>&-'

This doesn't work for me on sunos4.1.3 with hzoli3 (which I've now
accidentally upgraded to by deleting beta3).

Nor does   rsh narg 'sleep 10 & disown',  which hangs for 10 seconds,
seemingly regardless of what I do with file descriptors.

Anthony

* Re: behaviour with rsh
@ 1995-10-18 16:12 Duncan Sinclair
From: Duncan Sinclair @ 1995-10-18 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Carlos Carvalho

Carlos Carvalho writes:

>Before zsh used to close file descriptors until 10. It was a hidden
>compile option. Why was it removed? I remember Duncan changed it a
>long time ago, but didn't suppress it, I think.

I can't remember my exact involvement in this, but the behaviour
of rsh and various shells is one area where I have too much
knowledge, and probably too strong opinions.

<PLUG>
Of course, the *complete* solution to this problem is to use
my "rxx" program, available from
   ftp://ftp.dis.strath.ac.uk/pub/sinclair/rxx-4.2.2.tar.gz
</PLUG>

Now, my particular feeling was that although the "close fds 3-10"
solution fixes the problem, it is not an ideal solution in the
case when you happen to want to pass a file descriptor to zsh.
(This must have been my ammendment - the if test to see if it
is a "zsh -c" command.)

Ideally, what we want is a test to see if we are running under
rsh, and then do the close-fds.  I remember promising such a
while ago, but never got round to it.  I'll think more about it
this week.

More vague recollections on demand,

Duncan.

[parent not found: <carlos@snfep1.if.usp.br>]
[parent not found: <n1398738459.61633@smtpgwprod.ny.jpmorgan.com>]
* behaviour with rsh
@ 1995-10-10 16:52 Carlos Carvalho
From: Carlos Carvalho @ 1995-10-10 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi folks,

This is with 2.6-beta10-hzoli10.3 on linux.

I used this command to open windows on other machines (line break for
readability):

rsh -n <target machine> -- exec /usr/local/X11R5/bin/xterm
-d <my machine>$DISPLAY -ls -T $1 '<&- >&- 2>&-'

The idea is to close the file descriptors so that rsh exits. In old
releases this command leaves absolutely no processes in the <my
machine>, and in the <target machine> the only ones are xterm and zsh.

With the above release the rsh now remains, and if I kill it the
window of the <target machine> is closed. How can I get the old
behaviour back?

Carlos