zsh-workers
* PUSHD_TO_HOME problem
@ 1995-11-10 23:44 Danek Duvall
From: Danek Duvall @ 1995-11-10 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh workers list

I've noticed that the beta-11 releases, when AUTO_PUSHD and
PUSHD_TO_HOME are set, `cd' doesn't swap the top two directories on
the stack, while `pushd' does.  Is this intended behavior, or a bug?
I couldn't find any reference to it in the ChangeLog.

Thanks,
Danek

--
Danek Duvall <duvall@lorien.princeton.edu>    For my PGP key, send mail with
Computer Science, Princeton University        subject "get pgp key" or look

* RE: PUSHD_TO_HOME problem
@ 1995-11-12  1:51 Heading, Anthony
From: Heading, Anthony @ 1995-11-12  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danek Duvall; +Cc: zsh-workers

> However, I don't like the behaviour your patch produces.
Oh dear.  Sorry about that.

> I want cd to be able to swap the top two dirs, just like pushd does. [...]
> Obviously, it's not that big a deal; I can alias cd to pushd if I want.

You can indeed. That was really all that AUTO_PUSHD used to do.  But the
consequence was that a naked cd "broke", hence the need for PUSHD_TO_HOME.

I hope my patch allows for all comers.  The old behaviour is exactly
replicable, I think, by aliasing cd to pushd.  But if you don't alias
you get cd=>home and pushd=>swap, which I think is more useful. Not to
mention the extra behaviour of the +n stuff.

> the way I interpret AUTO_PUSHD is like the manual says:
> `Make cd act like pushd.'

Hmm. It's a fair cop, guv'nor.

Anthony

*** zshoptions.1.Orig	Sun Nov 12 01:09:56 1995
--- zshoptions.1	Sun Nov 12 01:17:36 1995
***************
*** 57,63 ****
  then add a trailing slash.
  .TP
  \fBAUTO_PUSHD\fP (\-\fBN\fP)
! Make \fBcd\fP act like \fBpushd\fP.
  .TP
  \fBAUTO_REMOVE_SLASH\fP
  When the last character resulting from a completion is a slash and the next
--- 57,63 ----
  then add a trailing slash.
  .TP
  \fBAUTO_PUSHD\fP (\-\fBN\fP)
! Make \fBcd\fP push the old directory onto the directory stack.

@ 1995-11-12  1:09 ` Danek Duvall
From: Danek Duvall @ 1995-11-12  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heading, Anthony; +Cc: zsh-workers

>> I've noticed that the beta-11 releases, when AUTO_PUSHD and
>> PUSHD_TO_HOME are set, `cd' doesn't swap the top two directories on
>> the stack, while `pushd' does.  Is this intended behavior, or a bug?
>> I couldn't find any reference to it in the ChangeLog.

HA> I've lost track of the baseline, but in Zoltan's releases the behaviour of
HA> cd/pushd/popd is largely defined by a patch of mine which I don't think
HA> has changed recently.  The intended (and, for me, the observed) behaviour
HA> is that with PUSHD_TO_HOME set neither cd nor pushd swap the top two dirs.
HA> Without PUSHD_TO_HOME, pushd swaps, but cd doesn't.

Yes, sorry.  I completely misstated the behavior I was seeing.  What
you describe is what I'm getting, and I am using one of Zoltan's
releases.

HA> After my patch, PUSHD_TO_HOME seems a fairly unnecessary option. I'd
HA> like to get rid of it.

However, I don't like the behaviour your patch produces.  I want cd to
be able to swap the top two dirs, just like pushd does.  After all,
the way I interpret AUTO_PUSHD is like the manual says: `Make cd act
like pushd.'

Obviously, it's not that big a deal; I can alias cd to pushd if I
want.  But if this is going to be the behavior of cd with AUTO_PUSHD
set, then it should be documented in zshoptions.1.

Thanks,
Danek

--

@ 1995-11-11 21:26 Heading, Anthony
From: Heading, Anthony @ 1995-11-11 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danek Duvall, zsh-workers

> I've noticed that the beta-11 releases, when AUTO_PUSHD and
> PUSHD_TO_HOME are set, `cd' doesn't swap the top two directories on
> the stack, while `pushd' does.  Is this intended behavior, or a bug?
> I couldn't find any reference to it in the ChangeLog.

I've lost track of the baseline, but in Zoltan's releases the behaviour of
cd/pushd/popd is largely defined by a patch of mine which I don't think
has changed recently.  The intended (and, for me, the observed) behaviour
is that with PUSHD_TO_HOME set neither cd nor pushd swap the top two dirs.
Without PUSHD_TO_HOME, pushd swaps, but cd doesn't.

After my patch, PUSHD_TO_HOME seems a fairly unnecessary option. I'd
like to get rid of it.  But perhaps some people rely on it in scripts.

Anthony