zsh-workers
* RE: where history expansion fits in
@ 1995-11-21 18:06 Heading, Anthony
From: Heading, Anthony @ 1995-11-21 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Zoltan wrote:
> I'm not in sync now with the latest beta.  I'll try to update as soon
> as I have some time.

Richard,  isn't it about time you integrated Zoltan's release?

He's continually re-synching to you, which is a waste of his time.

I (and probably many others) am now using Zoltan's code exclusively, and
do not bother with your releases.  This means that you are not getting
the breadth of testers that I suspect you would like.

I fail to see the problem with just moving the baseline over to Zoltan's
beta-12 release when he creates it.

Anthony

* Re: where history expansion fits in
@ 1995-11-21 18:33 ` Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1995-11-21 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

> > I'm not in sync now with the latest beta.  I'll try to update as soon
> > as I have some time.
>
> Richard,  isn't it about time you integrated Zoltan's release?
>
> He's continually re-synching to you, which is a waste of his time.
>
> I (and probably many others) am now using Zoltan's code exclusively, and
> do not bother with your releases.  This means that you are not getting
> the breadth of testers that I suspect you would like.
>
> I fail to see the problem with just moving the baseline over to Zoltan's
> beta-12 release when he creates it.

I've been integrating some of it.  But he has stopped submitting
patches for any of it.  And I've been too busy to go through his
distribution.

As I've said before, I'm very systematic about how I integrate
in changes.  I've been able to improve or cleanup many of the
patches that other people have submitted.  If I just `accepted'
other people changes without looking through them, we wouldn't
have made the progress that we've made.  Take a look through the
code for 2.5.03 and compare it with beta12.

But to be honest, I'm tired of people raising hell at me about
how I do things.  I've been working on zsh about 20+ hours a week
for over 4 months now.  I've worked hard to improve things and make
zsh more than just a `hackers shell' that is full of bugs and
developed in a completely unsystematic way.  What the development
of zsh needs is discipline, not speed.

But if other people think they can do a better job, I'm willing to
step aside and let someone else take over.  There are plenty of other
software projects I could work on.

rc

* Re: where history expansion fits in
@ 1995-11-21 21:15   ` Carlos Carvalho
From: Carlos Carvalho @ 1995-11-21 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Richard Coleman (coleman@math.gatech.edu) wrote on 21 November 1995 13:33:

 >As I've said before, I'm very systematic about how I integrate
 >in changes.  I've been able to improve or cleanup many of the
 >patches that other people have submitted.  If I just `accepted'
 >other people changes without looking through them, we wouldn't
 >have made the progress that we've made.  Take a look through the
 >code for 2.5.03 and compare it with beta12.

Agreed fully!

 >I've worked hard to improve things and make zsh more than just a
 >`hackers shell' that is full of bugs and developed in a completely
 >unsystematic way.  What the development of zsh needs is discipline,
 >not speed.

Agreed fully!

Maybe it's just a question of people knowing your schedule. With each
test/release you could repost the schedule of (class of) problems
you're tackling, like you did some time ago, with the explanation of
why you passed from one class of problems to the other. This way
people will see the position of subst.c, where the biggest part of
Zoltan's changes are.

On the other hand Zoltan did what seems a very good job and fixed many
*longstanding* bugs. This means that his patches are something
important, that deserve specific consideration. Maybe people feel that
you don't consider them important enough to influence your schedule? I
do understand what you mean by "do things serially and
systematically", but it may not be so clear to others...

Carlos

* Re: where history expansion fits in
@ 1995-11-21 21:20 Martin Wunderli
From: Martin Wunderli @ 1995-11-21 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi Richard,

>developed in a completely unsystematic way.  What the development
>of zsh needs is discipline, not speed.

I agree absolutely and would like to show my support. You are doing a really
great job. Don't give up!

Martin

--
Martin Wunderli, Institute for Information Systems/Databases, ETH Zentrum
                    CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland

  ** Microsoft is for computer what McDonald's is for fine food! **

PGP key available through: finger wunderli@apollo.inf.ethz.ch
Finger print of key: 38 5F 48 96 D3 86 35 0F  06 68 14 37 14 8D 69 DE

* Re: where history expansion fits in
@ 1995-11-21 16:24 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1995-11-21 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson

> Somebody ought to answer the question...

In this subject see also the manual in my release.  I tried to document
expansion better there.  Most of those mention there are not specific to my
release.

I'm not in sync now with the latest beta.  I'll try to update as soon as I
have some time.

Cheers,

  Zoltan

* where history expansion fits in
@ 1995-11-21 16:09 Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1995-11-21 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Somebody ought to answer the question...

*** Doc/zshexpn.1.hist	Tue Nov 21 16:59:17 1995
--- Doc/zshexpn.1	Tue Nov 21 17:05:24 1995
***************
*** 12,18 ****
  \fIarithmetic expansion\fP,
  \fIbrace expansion\fP,
  and \fIfilename generation\fP.
! (Where does History expansion fit in here?)
  .SH FILENAME EXPANSION
  Each word is checked to see if it begins with an unquoted ~.
  If it does, then the word up to a / is checked to see if it matches
--- 12,21 ----
  \fIarithmetic expansion\fP,
  \fIbrace expansion\fP,
  and \fIfilename generation\fP.
! \fIHistory expansion\fP is a special case:  it is only performed in
! interactive shells and then only if the \fBNO_BANG_HIST\fP option is
! unset; it takes place while the line is being parsed.  It is described
! last.
  .SH FILENAME EXPANSION
  Each word is checked to see if it begins with an unquoted ~.
  If it does, then the word up to a / is checked to see if it matches
***************
*** 933,936 ****
  form of command history support
  is provided by the
  .B fc
! builtin (see below).
--- 936,939 ----
  form of command history support
  is provided by the
  .B fc
! builtin (see the entry in the \fBzshbuiltins\fP manual).

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ifh.de>       Tel: +49 33762 77366
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/       Fax: +49 33762 77330