zsh-workers
* Globbing bug?
@ 1996-06-07 18:21 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1996-06-07 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I have found the following problem with globbing of symlinks pointing
to a directory:
Script started on Fri Jun 07 20:15:00 1996
jagor% ls -l
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx   1 hniksic  f2             1 Jun  7 20:14 somefile -> /
-rw-r--r--   1 hniksic  f2            43 Jun  7 20:15 typescript
jagor% cd s*e/
cd: no such file or directory: s*e/
jagor% cd s*e
jagor% /bin/pwd
/

That is, when symlink points to a directory, it will not be globbed if
it has a trailing /. This is especially annoying when writing
something like:
jagor% cd site-lisp/g*a/lisp
and it fails (although g*a completes uniquely by itself in site-lisp
directory), because gnus-beta is a symbolic link to gnus-5.2.10.

Ksh and bash do not seem to have this problem, whereas plain sh
behaves like zsh.

--
hniksic@srce.hr              |  Student of electrical engineering
hniksic@fly.cc.fer.hr        |  University of Zagreb, Croatia

* Re: Globbing bug?
@ 1996-06-10 19:28 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-06-10 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hrvoje Niksic; +Cc: zsh-workers

[-- Attachment #1: Type: application/pgp, Size: 2428 bytes --]

* Re: Globbing bug?
@ 1996-06-10 19:35   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1996-06-10 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zoltan Hidvegi (hzoli@cs.elte.hu) wrote:
> OK. The patch below fixes this.  Now pattern/ is equivalent to pattern(-/)
> instead of pattenr(/).  This only affects leading dots in a filename glob
> pattern.

Thanks for the patch!

> > jagor% cd site-lisp/g*a/lisp
> > and it fails (although g*a completes uniquely by itself in site-lisp
> > directory), because gnus-beta is a symbolic link to gnus-5.2.10.
> This is completely unrelated to the previous problem and it should not
> fail.  For me this works so if it fails for you, please tell me more about
> it.

It doesn't. I must have made a mistake.

--
hniksic@srce.hr              |  Student of electrical engineering
hniksic@fly.cc.fer.hr        |  University of Zagreb, Croatia
`VI' - An editor used by those heretics that don't subscribe to
       the Emacs religion.

* Re: Globbing bug?
@ 1996-06-10 19:51   ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-06-10 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh workers list

> instead of pattenr(/).  This only affects leading dots in a filename glob
> pattern.

Oops.  I wanted to write trailing slashes of course.  Perhaps my
subconsciousnes wanted to tell something :-).

Zoltan