zsh-workers
* DEC Unix 3.2d / 3.0pre6
@ 1996-08-05 17:12 Rob.Hooft
From: Rob.Hooft @ 1996-08-05 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Sorry again, I'm still not a member of the workers list.

In Etc/MACHINES:

        In OSF/1 3.0, there is apparently a bug in the header file
        /usr/include/rpcsvc/ypclnt.h; the prototype for yp_all() has a
        struct ypall_callback as its final argument, which should be a
        pointer (struct ypall_callback *).

This problem seems to persist in Digital Unix 3.2d, but is gone in 4.0.

On DEC Unix 4.0:

   gcc -c -I.. -I. -I.  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wall -Wno-implicit -Wmissing-prototypes -O2 -DDEBUG builtin.c
   In file included from zsh.h:1362,
                    from builtin.c:32:
   prototypes.h:106: conflicting types for `ioctl'
   /nu1/hooft/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-dec-osf4.0/2.7.2.f.1/include/sys/ioctl.h:72: previous declaration of `ioctl'

So it seems under DU4.0 even gcc doesn't need the ioctl prototype in
prototypes.h.  Removing the section at lines 104--110 in prototypes.h
creates a working binary. I'm not sure how to detect this situation,
so I'm in no position to generate a patch.

P.S.: is the "-DDEBUG" supposed to be there by default?

Regards,
--
=== Rob.Hooft@EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   http://www.Sander.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/rob/ ==
==== In need of protein modeling?  http://www.Sander.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/whatif/

* Re: DEC Unix 3.2d / 3.0pre6
@ 1996-08-12  4:04 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-08-12  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob.Hooft; +Cc: zsh-workers

> On DEC Unix 4.0:
>
>    gcc -c -I.. -I. -I.  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wall -Wno-implicit -Wmissing-prototypes -O2 -DDEBUG builtin.c
>    In file included from zsh.h:1362,
>                     from builtin.c:32:
>    prototypes.h:106: conflicting types for `ioctl'
>    /nu1/hooft/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-dec-osf4.0/2.7.2.f.1/include/sys/ioctl.h:72: previous declaration of `ioctl'
>
> So it seems under DU4.0 even gcc doesn't need the ioctl prototype in
> prototypes.h.  Removing the section at lines 104--110 in prototypes.h
> creates a working binary. I'm not sure how to detect this situation,
> so I'm in no position to generate a patch.

Unfortunately I do not have access to DEC Unix 4.x so I cannot write such a
test without some help.  The simplest solution would be a test for some
predefined macro so that these prototypes are only defined for older DEC
Unix versions.  The list of predefined macros can be determined using
/path-to-gcc-lib/cpp -dM /dev/null

> P.S.: is the "-DDEBUG" supposed to be there by default?

Yes, because pre6 is still not the final production release (although it is
close to it).  In zsh-3.0 I'll remove -DDEBUG which will produce a slightly
smaller and faster executable.

Zoltan

* Re: DEC Unix 3.2d / 3.0pre6
@ 1996-08-12  7:32   ` Rob.Hooft
From: Rob.Hooft @ 1996-08-12  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Hidvegi; +Cc: Rob.Hooft, zsh-workers

 >> So it seems under DU4.0 even gcc doesn't need the ioctl prototype
 >> in prototypes.h.  Removing the section at lines 104--110 in
 >> prototypes.h creates a working binary. I'm not sure how to detect
 >> this situation, so I'm in no position to generate a patch.

 ZH> Unfortunately I do not have access to DEC Unix 4.x so I cannot
 ZH> write such a test without some help.  The simplest solution would
 ZH> be a test for some predefined macro so that these prototypes are
 ZH> only defined for older DEC Unix versions.

Officially gcc-2.7.2 does not support DU4.0 yet, but I fear even if
the next version of gcc does officially support it, there will be no
differences in the predefined symbols. Certainly at this moment there
is no difference, nor is there any version-indication:

   nu[102]hooft% /nu1/hooft/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-dec-osf4.0/2.7.2.f.1/cpp -dM /dev/null
   #define SYSTYPE_BSD 1
   #define _LONGLONG 1
   #define __alpha__ 1
   #define __osf__ 1
   #define _SYSTYPE_BSD 1
   #define __alpha 1
   #define unix 1

"uname -a" does the trick, but that is an ugly test...

   alpha1[101]hooft% uname -a
   OSF1 alpha1.embl-heidelberg.de V3.2 148 alpha
   nu[103]hooft% uname -a
   OSF1 nu.embl-heidelberg.de V4.0 386 alpha

Do you have any other hints?