zsh-workers
From: Zoltan Hidvegi <hzoli@cs.elte.hu>
To: tkaczma@math.luc.edu (Tom Kaczmarski)
Cc: zsh-workers@math.gatech.edu
Subject: Re: zsh bug?
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 20:35:49 +0200 (MET DST)	[thread overview]

> When I run the following command:
>
> ping -s www.americanexpress.com
>
> the child zsh dumps core and reports a fragmentation error.
>
> To my knowledge, this only happens with this particular address.
>
> This happens on both Solaris 2.5i SPARC version, and SunOS 4.1.3_U1.  I also
> tried to replicate this error on an AIX box, but ping takes a little
> different flags.  I wish I had access to another OS to verify that
> behavior.  Could someone try it on a different OS like Irix, OSF, HP-UX,
> BSD, and Linux?

This is not a zsh bug.  ping dumps core,  and zsh prints:

zsh: 336 segmentation fault (core dumped)  /usr/sbin/ping -s www.americanexpress.com

The zsh: means that it was zsh which printed the message but at the end of the
message you can see what caused the coredump.

Of course Linux ping works fine.  It's time to upgrade to SparcLinux :-).

Zoltan