zsh-workers
* here-document/multiline parameter conflict
@ 1996-08-23 17:11 J.D. Laub
From: J.D. Laub @ 1996-08-23 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I didn't see this mentioned in Etc/BUGS for 3.0.0.  Is the following
behavior by design?  It seems really bizarre.

This (trivial) script works under a standard ksh:
#!/bin/ksh
cat <<EOF | sed -e '/t/{
s/t/T/
}'
one
three
five
EOF

Changing the first line to #!/usr/local/bin/zsh -f yields this:
quirk: unmatched ' [9]

However, if I embed the here-document within the parameter to sed, it
works under zsh:
#!/usr/local/bin/zsh -f
cat <<EOF | sed -e '/t/{
one
three
five
EOF
s/t/T/
}'
--
J.D. Laub (Laubster) HBOC/CliniCom|"I think you're very, very, very, very, very,
jdl@clinicom.com     Boulder,CO   |very, very, very, very, ..." - Flying Lizards

* Re: here-document/multiline parameter conflict
@ 1996-08-23 17:53 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-08-23 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.D. Laub; +Cc: zsh-workers

> I didn't see this mentioned in Etc/BUGS for 3.0.0.  Is the following
> behavior by design?  It seems really bizarre.
>
> This (trivial) script works under a standard ksh:
> #!/bin/ksh
> cat <<EOF | sed -e '/t/{
> s/t/T/
> }'
> one
> three
> five
> EOF
>
> Changing the first line to #!/usr/local/bin/zsh -f yields this:
> quirk: unmatched ' [9]

I cannot reproduce this and looking at the source it seems that it should
not happen.  Are you absolutely sure that /usr/local/bin/zsh is really
zsh-3.0.0?  Older zsh versions did have this problem.

Zoltan

* Re: here-document/multiline parameter conflict
@ 1996-08-23 17:58   ` J.D. Laub
From: J.D. Laub @ 1996-08-23 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Hidvegi; +Cc: zsh-workers

Zoltan Hidvegi writes:
> I cannot reproduce this and looking at the source it seems that it should
> not happen.  Are you absolutely sure that /usr/local/bin/zsh is really
> zsh-3.0.0?  Older zsh versions did have this problem.

Blab nab it, just goes to show no matter how careful you are, it's
still easy to look like a fool.  I had put 3.0.0 in my own bin while I
test drove it.  Yup, it's fixed.  I apologize for wasting your time.