zsh-workers
* 8-bit characters in history and completion
@ 1996-09-26  5:29 Andreas Koenig
From: Andreas Koenig @ 1996-09-26  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Some time between 2.6-beta14 and 2.6-beta19 completion changed wrt
8bit characters. First example is with 3.0.1-test.

% ls
ha/  he/  hi/  ho/  hr/  hu/  hy/  hä/  hö/  hü/
% ls h<TAB>
ha/     he/     hi/     ho/     hr/     hu/     hy/     h\M-d/ h\M-v/ h\M-|/
% /usr/local/bin/zsh-2.6-beta14
% ls h<TAB>
ha/  he/  hi/  ho/  hr/  hu/  hy/  hä/  hö/  hü/

Is this intentional? Can I influence the behaviour?  I prefer the beta14 way to
display the real 8-bit character (and the spacing looks also better, imho).

I discovered that in history something similar happended between beta10 and
beta13, although beta10 looks buggy in another way:

% echo hü
hü
% history -1
  501  echo h\M-|
  502  history -1
% exec /usr/local/bin/zsh-2.6-beta10
% echo hü
hü
% history -1
  501  echo h^ü
  502  history -1

Let me know, if you need additional info.

Thanks for the zsh!
andreas

* Re: 8-bit characters in history and completion
@ 1996-09-27 12:19 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1996-09-27 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Andreas Koenig wrote:

> Some time between 2.6-beta14 and 2.6-beta19 completion changed wrt
> 8bit characters. First example is with 3.0.1-test.
>
> % ls
> ha/  he/  hi/  ho/  hr/  hu/  hy/  hä/  hö/  hü/
> % ls h<TAB>
> ha/     he/     hi/     ho/     hr/     hu/     hy/     h\M-d/ h\M-v/ h\M-|/
> % /usr/local/bin/zsh-2.6-beta14
> % ls h<TAB>
> ha/  he/  hi/  ho/  hr/  hu/  hy/  hä/  hö/  hü/
>

> Is this intentional? Can I influence the behaviour?  I prefer the beta14 way to
> display the real 8-bit character (and the spacing looks also better, imho).

I hope yes ;) It depends on current locale settings. The shell variables,
which control it, are (from low to high prio): LANG, LC_CTYPE, LC_ALL.
You have to set one of them to the name of German locale. I don't know,
how locale names look like on your system; on my setting LC_CTYPE to
De_DE.88591 solves your problem.

The same applies to history list.

BTW zsh is using locale when showing list (e.g. with autolist option)
but not when doing menu completion. Is this intentional?

greetings

Andrej Borsenkow 		Fax:   +7 (095) 252 01 05
SNI ITS Moscow			Tel:   +7 (095) 252 13 88

NERV:  borsenkow.msk		E-Mail: borsenkow.msk@sni.de

* Re: 8-bit characters in history and completion
@ 1996-09-29  8:41   ` Andreas Koenig
From: Andreas Koenig @ 1996-09-29  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: borsenkow.msk, Thorsten Meinecke; +Cc: zsh-workers

  [..8-bit characters in completion displayed as \M-x...]

 andrej> I hope yes ;) It depends on current locale settings. The shell variables,
 andrej> which control it, are (from low to high prio): LANG, LC_CTYPE, LC_ALL.
 andrej> You have to set one of them to the name of German locale. I don't know,
 andrej> how locale names look like on your system; on my setting LC_CTYPE to
 andrej> De_DE.88591 solves your problem.

Thanks. It turned out that the isprint function displays the
appropriate characters even for the en_US locale on my system
(IRIX). So setting

LANG=en_US

does the trick. Thanks again,
andreas