zsh-workers
* Is ${} supported?
@ 1996-11-27  9:20 Anthony Heading
From: Anthony Heading @ 1996-11-27  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

The "null" parameter seems useful to allow the following sort of thing:

% echo ${(j/+/):-{one,two,three}}
one+two+three

But does it only work by accident, or can it be relied on?  Should
it be documented?

Anthony

* Re: Is ${} supported?
@ 1996-11-27 23:20 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-11-27 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Heading; +Cc: zsh-workers

> The "null" parameter seems useful to allow the following sort of thing:
>
> % echo ${(j/+/):-{one,two,three}}
> one+two+three
>
> But does it only work by accident, or can it be relied on?  Should
> it be documented?

It can be relied on.  I suspect that I have several scripts relying on
that.  It should be documented of course.

Zoltan

* Re: Is ${} supported?
@ 1996-11-28  9:45   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1996-11-28  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
> > The "null" parameter seems useful to allow the following sort of thing:
> >
> > % echo ${(j/+/):-{one,two,three}}
> > one+two+three
>
> It can be relied on.

Just as a matter of interest, why does the following not work the same
way?

% print ${(j/,/):-/proc/*(U:t)}
23020 23048 23051 23052 23062 26604

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ifh.de>       Tel: +49 33762 77366
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/       Fax: +49 33762 77413

* Re: Is ${} supported?
@ 1996-11-28 14:38     ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-11-28 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

Peter Stephenson wrote:
> Just as a matter of interest, why does the following not work the same
> way?
>
> % print ${(j/,/):-/proc/*(U:t)}
> 23020 23048 23051 23052 23062 26604

Because globbing performed much later than expansion.  The order is
precisely described in zshexpn.man.

Zoltan