zsh-workers
* call this a mark??
@ 1997-01-16 16:41 Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1997-01-16 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

I suppose this is just my ignorance, but I was amazed to discover just
now (playing with the history lines thing) that the `mark' in zle is
not a mark at all, just a character offset which is confused by
insertion and deletion.  Shouldn't it be possible to do something
about this by adding code to spaceinline(), backkill/del(),
forekill/del() -- or are there hidden problems?

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ifh.de>       Tel: +49 33762 77366
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/       Fax: +49 33762 77413

* Re: call this a mark??
@ 1997-01-17  0:20 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1997-01-17  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

> I suppose this is just my ignorance, but I was amazed to discover just
> now (playing with the history lines thing) that the `mark' in zle is
> not a mark at all, just a character offset which is confused by
> insertion and deletion.  Shouldn't it be possible to do something
> about this by adding code to spaceinline(), backkill/del(),
> forekill/del() -- or are there hidden problems?

Emacs just invalidates the mark when any character is inserted/deleted.  That
would be a simple solution (a new ZLE_ flag can be added to mark those zle
functions which do not invalidate the mark).

Zoltan

* Re: call this a mark??
@ 1997-01-17  1:56   ` Daniel Reish
From: Daniel Reish @ 1997-01-17  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Hidvegi; +Cc: Peter Stephenson, zsh-workers

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:

> Emacs just invalidates the mark when any character is inserted/deleted.

That's not what my Emacs (GNU Emacs 19.34.1) does.  It moves the mark
along with the character under it.

--
Dan

* Re: call this a mark??
@ 1997-01-17  8:32   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1997-01-17  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
> Emacs just invalidates the mark when any character is inserted/deleted.  That
> would be a simple solution (a new ZLE_ flag can be added to mark those zle
> functions which do not invalidate the mark).

Nope, emacs tracks not only the current mark but a whole lot of
previous ones (typing \C-u\C-@ will you take you back through them),
plus an arbitrary number of ones maintained by utilities, plus in
version 19 the marks associated with overlays etc.  They are all
updated properly with insertion and deletion.  Maybe you're thinking
of transient mark mode, where the mark is deactivated, but not
invalidated.

I wasn't thinking of tracking more than the current emacs mode mark in
zsh, that what obviously be too much.