zsh-workers
* Re: Restrict the other path
@ 1997-05-22  5:01 Simon M. H. Chan
From: Simon M. H. Chan @ 1997-05-22  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

At 03:53 PM 1997/5/21 -0400, Zoltan T. Hidvegi wrote:

>Simon M. H. Chan wrote:
>> I would like to ask you that how to make a restricted zsh shell? The one
>> which do not allow users to run applications in all directories except the
>> specific directory which I allow them to run.
>
>The restricted option is supported starting with zsh-3.1.1.
>
>Zoltan

First of all, thank you very much.

Would you mind to tell me how to set the restricted option in zsh-3.1.1?
Thanks.

By the way, zsh-3.1.1 is only a Beta, is it stable?

Regards,
Simon

* Re: Restrict the other path
@ 1997-05-22  5:53 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1997-05-22  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon M. H. Chan

> First of all, thank you very much.
>
> Would you mind to tell me how to set the restricted option in zsh-3.1.1?

You should probably read the RESTRICTED SHELL section in the zshmisc manual
page.  Zsh enters restricted mode if command used to invoke zsh starts with
the letter r or the -r command line option is supplied at invocation.  You
can also set restricted mode any time unsing setopt(RESTRICTED).

> By the way, zsh-3.1.1 is only a Beta, is it stable?

Yes, it is beta, and it certainly has bugs (as every program), but it is
quite usable.  Many people just accept the fact that the production release
of the OS they use crashes several times a day.  Zsh is far more stable
than that.  Anything starting with zsh-3.1 will be beta, but hopefully by
every new release it is getting better.  And if you do not use the new
staff, it should be as stable as the 3.0 series.  And eventually, zsh-3.2
will be released some time for those who prefer stability.  But it'll be
fall or maybe even winter before that happens.

Zoltan

* Re: Restrict the other path
@ 1997-05-21 19:53 ` Zoltan T. Hidvegi
From: Zoltan T. Hidvegi @ 1997-05-21 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: simonc; +Cc: zsh-workers

Simon M. H. Chan wrote:
> I would like to ask you that how to make a restricted zsh shell? The one
> which do not allow users to run applications in all directories except the
> specific directory which I allow them to run.

The restricted option is supported starting with zsh-3.1.1.

Zoltan

* Restrict the other path
@ 1997-05-21  9:36 Simon M. H. Chan
From: Simon M. H. Chan @ 1997-05-21  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Dear all,

I have just downloaded the zsh-3.1.0, and succeed to complie it. However,
I have a question.
I would like to ask you that how to make a restricted zsh shell? The one
which do not allow users to run applications in all directories except the
specific directory which I allow them to run.

Users can type the full path to run what they want, e.g. /usr/bin/chsh or
they can complie program themselves and run it by ~/programname.
I don't want this to be happened.

Someone said that I just need to modify the source code
"/zsh-3.1.0/Src/exec.c", however, I am not good at programming(I am just
16!)  and I am worry that it will have bugs if I try to modify it myself.

Please, if anyone know how to make a restricted shell, please help me.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Simon