Hi everyone, Being a francophone, I like using filenames with french characters. I usually have no problem with it except in two situations. The first one is with completion: touch élément1 élément2 ls é (expands into) ls élément (lists \M-il\Miment1 \M-il\M-iment2) The second one is with prompt expansion: PS1="%~ %h> " mkdir élément cd élément The prompt is \M-il\M-iment 4> instead of élément 4> As far as I can tell, these are the only cases where characters with the 8th bit set are not printed correctly. I have seen this behaviour in zsh-3.0.2 and zsh-3.1.2 Regards, Alain Caron Sanga Research Corporation alainc@sangacorp.com 514-288-4498 ext. 225