zsh-workers
* patch archive set up
@ 1997-10-10  1:13 Timothy J Luoma
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1997-10-10  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Well.... 'set up' may be an overstatement.  There is nothing there yet.
Feel free to start sending patches.

In order for it to work:

- Messages must be sent to: zsh@peak.org

- Messages must be ASCII (not MIME)

- Messages must have a Subject: line which begins with

PATCH:

I'd suggest that descriptive Subject lines be given, so as to make the
archive more useful, such as

PATCH: zsh-version-number filename

for example:

PATCH: 3.0.4 Src/subst.c

Suggestions?  Comments?

TjL

* Re: patch archive set up
@ 1997-10-10  8:50 ` Geoff Wing
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Geoff Wing @ 1997-10-10  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Timothy J Luoma <luomat+zsh+users@luomat.peak.org> typed:
:I'd suggest that descriptive Subject lines be given, so as to make the
:archive more useful, such as
:PATCH: zsh-version-number filename
:for example:
:PATCH: 3.0.4 Src/subst.c
:
:Suggestions?  Comments?

It can often be a number of files, so `filename', even with multiple filenames
wouldn't be always be that meaningful.

  PATCH: 3.0.5  improved zle display (previously stuffed up by Geoff Wing)

would be better in my opinion.  Then people could grab patches only relevant
to specific topics rather than specific files.
--
Geoff Wing [mason@primenet.com.au]                   Phone    : +61-3-9818 2977
 Technical Manager: PrimeNet Computer Consultants    Facsimile: +61-3-9768 2909

* Re: patch archive set up
@ 1997-10-10  8:54 ` Andrew Main
From: Andrew Main @ 1997-10-10  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy J Luoma; +Cc: zsh-workers

Timothy J Luoma wrote:
>I'd suggest that descriptive Subject lines be given, so as to make the
>archive more useful, such as
>for example:
>
>PATCH: 3.0.4 Src/subst.c

That's not descriptive.  Anyway, a lot of patches apply to more than
one version, or affect more than one file.  I see nothing wrong with
the current convention of putting a brief description in the Subject:
line -- that is, after all, what it's there for.

-zefram

* Re: patch archive set up
@ 1997-10-10  9:33 ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 1997-10-10  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

luomat+zsh+users@luomat.peak.org said:
> for example:

> PATCH: 3.0.4 Src/subst.c

I agree with Geoff Wing, a description is more sensible, since source changes
often have (or should have!) associated documentation changes, at least.

I'd like the archive to be semi-automatically appliable, so I'd like to be
able to grab the most recent zsh from the archive, grab all the patches
(filtering on the version number), and run a zsh script to apply them all.  So
as a start, I'd suggest that all patches ought to be taken at the top source
level (so I'd do "cd zsh-3.1.2; patch -p0 < ..."), and that mails would
contain either the actual patch, or a gzipped/compressed patch, but not tarred
stuff, because that's more fiddly to process.

I must admit, I'd prefer just a patched version to be made available, say once
a week or something.  Does anybody keep a zsh suitably patched?

My reason is that normally I haven't been patching zsh, but just recently
there have been a couple of useful patches that I wanted, so I was forced to
try to get up to date enough to apply them, and it wasn't trivial!  In fact, I
eventually couldn't apply them cleanly, but I got what I wanted and still have
a working zsh.

* Re: patch archive set up
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-10-13 12:16 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1997-10-13 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Timothy J Luoma wrote:

> Well.... 'set up' may be an overstatement.  There is nothing there yet.
> Feel free to start sending patches.

1. Where to find this archive?

2. There were definitely some 100+ KB patches to 3.1.2. Some of them were
   _not_ posted to zsw-workers (I am pretty shure). What about creating
   intermediate 3.1.x release, so that people could start to use new patch
   archive?

thanks

Andrej Borsenkow 		Fax:   +7 (095) 252 01 05
SNI ITS Moscow			Tel:   +7 (095) 252 13 88

NERV:  borsenkow.msk		E-Mail: borsenkow.msk@sni.de

* Re: patch archive set up
@ 1997-10-15  0:59   ` Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1997-10-15  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Author:        Andrej Borsenkow <borsenkow.msk@sni.de>

> 1. Where to find this archive?

http://www.peak.org/zsh/Patches/

(Peter, can you make sure we add this to the FAQ?)

TjL