zsh-workers
* Re: Help!A Question
       [not found] <199711050426.XAA25930@math.gatech.edu>
@ 1997-11-05 21:49 ` TGAPE!
From: TGAPE! @ 1997-11-05 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhouyhong; +Cc: zsh-workers

zhouyhong wrote:

> Dear Zsh workers:
> 	I'm a newcomer of Zshell.
> 	I encounter a problem when I use Zshell
> 	when I use the following alias:
> 	alias fn='find . -name ''*''\!:1''*'' -print'
                                ^^^^

What's this *thing*?  You been using csh, or something?  Get it hence.
You need a function here:
 	function fn { find . -name '*'$1'*' -print }

This is in the FAQ, when explaining differences from csh.  It is
apparently not explicitly mentioned anywhere else, which I think is a
documentation bug (I think it should be under HISTORY EXPANSION or under
ALIASING, or both.)  I do realize that if someone read the evaluation
order, it'd be obvious, but be honest - how many people do you expect
would read something that unrelated?

(Ed covers his face with his hand as everyone but shoughong raises their
hand.)  NO!  Not you developer types - you've read the documentation
just because it's there.  I mean the user types, dang it!  Generally, if
they read the docs which are obviously directly related to what they're
doing, it's pretty amazing.  Put stuff like this there.

Ed

only message in thread, other threads:[~1997-11-08  1:40 UTC | newest]