zsh-workers
* Re: Problems with zsh & HP10.20
@ 1998-04-21 12:32 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1998-04-21 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers, Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Tal Ovadia

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Stephenson <pws@ifh.de>

>  The cursor keys send different codes depending on the terminal; zsh
>  only binds the most well known versions.

But the termcap/terminfo names are (hopefully) the same.

 If you see these problems,
>  try putting the following in your tt(.zshrc):
>
>  verb(
>    bindkey "$(echotc kl)" backward-char
>    bindkey "$(echotc kr)" forward-char
>    bindkey "$(echotc ku)" up-line-or-history
>    bindkey "$(echotc kd)" down-line-or-history
>  )

 I don't understand, why ZSH cannot do it, if it tries to initialize cursor
keys at all. Or better leave it to user and explicitly state, that cursor
keys are *not* bound by default.

A. Borsenkow

* Re: Problems with zsh & HP10.20
@ 1998-04-21 13:48 ` Andrew Main
From: Andrew Main @ 1998-04-21 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Borsenkow; +Cc: zsh-workers, pws, tovadia

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
> I don't understand, why ZSH cannot do it, if it tries to initialize cursor
>keys at all.

On some terminals the arrow keys get in the way of other editing actions,
and are better ignored.  termcaps invariably include the k* sequences
for these terminals.

>             Or better leave it to user and explicitly state, that cursor
>keys are *not* bound by default.

I'd like to do this, but a lot of users would no doubt complain about
the missing keybindings.

There is no perfect solution here.

-zefram

* Re: Problems with zsh & HP10.20
@ 1998-04-21 12:43   ` Andrew Main
From: Andrew Main @ 1998-04-21 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

Peter Stephenson wrote:
>It's time I put something in the FAQ:  does anyone have any
>information to add to/subtract from/modify in the following?

Yes.  In 3.0.*, multi-character keybindings don't work properly,
so the commands you suggest are quite capable of causing crashes.
And in 3.1.2-zefram4 onwards, "^[OA" etc. are supported by default,
in addition to "^[[A".

-zefram

* Re: Problems with zsh & HP10.20
@ 1998-04-21 11:59 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1998-04-21 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Tal Ovadia

Tal Ovadia wrote:
> I have compiled zsh3.0.5 on HPUX 10.20 with no problems, how ever the arrow k
> eys do not work and I could not find the reason why (same thing with zsh 3.0.
> 2)
> any ideas ?

It's time I put something in the FAQ:  does anyone have any
information to add to/subtract from/modify in the following? (This is
the YODL source.)

sect(Why do the cursor (arrow) keys not work?)

  The cursor keys send different codes depending on the terminal; zsh
  only binds the most well known versions.  If you see these problems,
  try putting the following in your tt(.zshrc):

  verb(
    bindkey "$(echotc kl)" backward-char
    bindkey "$(echotc kr)" forward-char
    bindkey "$(echotc ku)" up-line-or-history
    bindkey "$(echotc kd)" down-line-or-history
  )

  If you use vi mode, use mytt(vi-backward-char) and mytt(vi-forward-char)
  where appropriate.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ifh.de>       Tel: +39 50 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/

* Problems with zsh & HP10.20
@ 1998-04-21  9:46 Tal Ovadia
From: Tal Ovadia @ 1998-04-21  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,
----
I have compiled zsh3.0.5 on HPUX 10.20 with no problems, how ever the arrow keys do not work and I could not find the reason why (same thing with zsh 3.0.2)
any ideas ?

10X
  Tal