zsh-workers
* ZSH patches - please, indicate ZSH version in subject
@ 1998-04-27 10:19 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1998-04-27 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

May I make one request for ZSH patch submitting. It is really nice to
indicate ZSH version, to which patch applies, in subject. Without it one
gets the whole bunch of ZSH patches without any way to select the right(s)
one(s).

One step further would be common patch format. Something, like

ZSH-Version: zsh-3.1.2-zefram4

in body. It would allow automatic sorting and provide patch archive by
version.

(if developers agree on that, probably it shoud be announced on zsh-users
and FAQ as well).

cheers

Andrej Borsenkow                Fax:   +7 (095) 796 99 20
SNI ITS Moscow                  Tel:   +7 (095) 796 99 24

NERV:  borsenkow.msk            E-Mail: borsenkow.msk@sni.de

* Re: ZSH patches - please, indicate ZSH version in subject
@ 1998-04-27 12:59 ` Andrew Main
From: Andrew Main @ 1998-04-27 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Borsenkow; +Cc: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
>One step further would be common patch format. Something, like
>
>ZSH-Version: zsh-3.1.2-zefram4
>
>in body. It would allow automatic sorting and provide patch archive by
>version.

I think this would be preferable to using the subject line.  I'd rather
keep the most useful information near the beginning of the subject line,
and the version number is very rarely in doubt.  Perhaps we could come
up with a patch data format that could be recognised anywhere in the
message body, maybe something like

	PATCH-DATA:
	Version: zsh-3.1.2-zefram4
	Dependencies: 3858 3869
	Negative-Dependencies: 3859

preceding the actual diffs.  Whatever format we come up with would have
to cope with the need to unapply preceding patches, and should probably
also handle gzipped uuencoded diffs (which we occasionally need).

If you come up with a suitable format and a patch-applying tool that
parses it, I'll add it to Util/zsh-development-guide.

-zefram